Contribute
Register

Any advice for a hackintosh triple boot system - first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
i want to build a hackintosh, but i want to make sure that i can triple boot Windows, Mac, and multiple flavors of linux. it will mostly be used for work. coding, video editing and alike. i am pulling together between 1500 and 2000 for this computer. and it would be great if someone could give me some suggestions. :thumbup: :wave:

I am interested as well...I'm planning on booting multiple OS as well. I was wondering if the best thing to do would be to have a small hard drive for each OS, and then a huge hard drive for data storage that is shared between all OS?

I always cringe when someone says they need a hackintosh for work on these forums. If you need osx to work 100% than I would hold off on building a hackintosh.

Keep in mind I use mine for school and if it kernel panics for some reason I can boot to w7 or use my MacBook( actually its rock solid and has worked perfectly since March 2011).

You might want to check out the current iMac and Mac Pro lineup too, compare the specs and see what type of specs you need/ want and build yours.. You can't go wrong building one of the customacs that are already proven and spec'd out either

emperorbohe said:
I am interested as well...I'm planning on booting multiple OS as well. I was wondering if the best thing to do would be to have a small hard drive for each OS, and then a huge hard drive for data storage that is shared between all OS?

I keep my two installations separate but that's just me. I have 3 HDD's one for osx, osx clone drive, and windows 7 ultimate drive.

I test all updates on the osx clone which I highly recommend.. If I screw it up just reclone and try again.

bones123 said:
I always cringe when someone says they need a hackintosh for work on these forums. If you need osx to work 100% than I would hold off on building a hackintosh.

Keep in mind I use mine for school and if it kernel panics for some reason I can boot to w7 or use my MacBook( actually its rock solid and has worked perfectly since March 2011).

You might want to check out the current iMac and Mac Pro lineup too, compare the specs and see what type of specs you need/ want and build yours.. You can't go wrong building one of the customacs that are already proven and spec'd out either

I must say that I completely disagree with this statement. There are a ton of people on here that have built their hacks for work. In fact I would say that's one of the biggest reasons for building a hack. An out of date Mac Pro for 2500 or an awesome up to date hack that I built myself for half the price. I will agree and admit that come update time I always get a bit weary and the average consumer shouldn't be building/buying a hack, but if you're confident in your computer knowledge and can follow guides and actually READ advice that people give you on here than a hack is a wonderful way to go.

Now that I'm done ranting about that. My suggestion for your hard drives would be to go separate drives for each OS and yes you could go one large volume that's partitioned for each OS. Honestly you could set up the rest of the partitions how ever you want. I use OS X about 10x more than windows and I have 4 drives so 2.5 of those drives are used for OS X and the other 1.5 for windows.

pwalth21 said:
bones123 said:

I must say that I completely disagree with this statement. There are a ton of people on here that have built their hacks for work. In fact I would say that's one of the biggest reasons for building a hack. An out of date Mac Pro for 2500 or an awesome up to date hack that I built myself for half the price. I will agree and admit that come update time I always get a bit weary and the average consumer shouldn't be building/buying a hack, but if you're confident in your computer knowledge and can follow guides and actually READ advice that people give you on here than a hack is a wonderful way to go.

Now that I'm done ranting about that. My suggestion for your hard drives would be to go separate drives for each OS and yes you could go one large volume that's partitioned for each OS. Honestly you could set up the rest of the partitions how ever you want. I use OS X about 10x more than windows and I have 4 drives so 2.5 of those drives are used for OS X and the other 1.5 for windows.

That's great and to each his own... But by the op posting this thread he is not confident in his computer knowledge or else he would have just followed the guide and been done with it...and hacks aren't for everyone especially when your livelihood is the end result...

So basically, do they run great.. Yes , is there any garantees... No... Is there an official support line that I can rely on so I can get my work done and get paid...NO

That's all I'm trying to say.. If you need osx for your job you better have a backup plan, because your on your own till someone on the forums can help you if you have problems.

bones123 said:
pwalth21 said:
bones123 said:

That's great and to each his own... But by the op posting this thread he is not confident in his computer knowledge or else he would have just followed the guide and been done with it...and hacks aren't for everyone especially when your livelihood is the end result...

So basically, do they run great.. Yes , is there any garantees... No... Is there an official support line that I can rely on so I can get my work done and get paid...NO

That's all I'm trying to say.. If you need osx for your job you better have a backup plan, because your on your own till someone on the forums can help you if you have problems.
haha, lol. i am a PHP programmer. i don't really give a **** about call in support, when there are dope forums like these on the internet. worst case scenario if this doesn't work out, ill just wipe the drives and just load up linux/windows. Mac OS X is nice but its not so nice that i would go through several hours upon hours of pain and suffering just to achieve it on non mac hardware just to save a few bucks. i just happen to know that installing is pretty easy if you choose the write hardware.

haha, lol. i am a PHP programmer. i don't really give a f#ck about call in support, when there are dope forums like these on the internet. worst case scenario if this doesn't work out, ill just wipe the drives and just load up linux/windows. Mac OS X is nice but its not so nice that i would go through several hours upon hours of pain and suffering just to achieve it on non mac hardware just to save a few bucks. i just happen to know that installing is pretty easy if you choose the write hardware.
:thumbup: Build away good sir.

i have found, that people who are actually passionate about what they do, like hackintosh building. they are going to be more dedicated to try and finding a solution for each other. because this is a great community and we should all get along and help each other. because computers are well freaking awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back