Contribute
Register

Another regular frustating shutdown issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Laptop > Need make and model > See Rules!
CPU
i7-2860QM/HM65
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello people,

Here to share my trip and eventually find help

System info and problem description
Asus N55SL
i7-2860qm + HD3000 (CPU upgraded)
HM65
wifi+bluetooth replaced with BCM4352

As object says, I have this issue regarding both shutdown and sleep.
MacOS seems off/sleeping but cpu fans and leds are still on, furthermore, the display is completely turned off (no blacklight at all).

I'm on this laptop for an update from El Capitan, but I was encountering this problem also there.
The overall performance is quite good except for video glitches appearing sometimes, especially in video playback, common on sandy bridge I read.

What is strange?
Well,
  • When I launch the shutdown command MacOS goes off (or at least seems) and USB power seems also to left from USB devices.
    Note: the external mouse is flashing his laser light just when I "click" on the buttons, regular laser light present on his normal functioning is gone.
  • Another strange behaviour is when I check the "fixShutdown" on clover, in the shutdown final stage (display off) cpu fans start spin a lot more, like the CPU is looping something.
    Differently, this behaviour isn't happening without the fix, fans still spinning but at low speed with no hot air at all.
    Tried also "fix shutdown v2" static patch in DSDT. Same behaviour as clover fixShutdown.
  • When I left the external USB mouse attached but on the Atheros USB3 slot, sometimes the laptop reboots instead of shutdown and sometimes go straight to the "limbo" state.
  • Ethernet adapter behaves weird also, when I'm connected to the wifi, it appears on "network" settings with "self-assigned IP" even if it is not connected, when I remove and re-add the adapter it goes to "Not Connected".
  • NVRAM reset fail in clover, usually it has to reboot the system but it's not happening. Don't know why, correctly reset just booting from USB stick.

Hack implementations
  • Discrete GPU is hotpatch to be disable.
  • Battery indicator is also hotpatch to have it working.
  • Native power management is handled by the custom SSDT created with ssdtPRGen.sh (again, because it's sandy bridge).
  • Custom SSDT for USBinjectall has been implemented fo USB2 (USB3 is not Intel).

WHAT HAS BEEN TRIED
USB definition or power-related

After beeing sure that SSDT-UIAC wasn't helping, I tried to unload the 3rd part kext for USB3, no luck. I still think it could be a USB power issue but I can't detect it or know how to fix.
Reading https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-usb-power-property-injection-for-sierra-and-later.222266/
I tried both to rename EC0 to EC. Nothing changed, except that it isn't boot with DDGPU and battery SSDTs added in Clover/ACPI/Patched.
Adding USBX device in SSDT-UIAC. Still nothing.
Note: there are an USB internal card reader (no detected at all by the MacOS) that I'd tried to disable by BIOS with no luck for shutdown and an internal webcam (this one detected but seems not working), tried also to disable in BIOS.

BIOS and Intel ME firmwares
Reading like all the shutdown-related post on this forum and came back with this 2 firmwares definition could be related to my problem.
BIOS updated and nothing changed (also bricked a mobo BIOS chip, trying to update the full BIOS instaed of the update-version one, ntd).
Intel Management firmware update done too, I'd discovered that the ASUS BIOS update make no modification on the ME firmware (both up and downgrade). Mine is now the last available for my mobo series.

NVRAM and drivers
After I found out that my NVRAN could working native I've implemented it (no RC scripts and no EmuVariable, just APTIOMemoryFix)
Tried to shutdown. Nothing.
I've then tried various memory fix drivers in combinations with "slide=0" flag and EmuVariableUEFI.efi driver as I read about in some posts:
APCIMemoryFix + EmuVariableUEFI + slide=0
APCIMemoryFix + EmuVariableUEFI
OsxAptioFixDrv + EmuVariableUEFI + slide=0
OsxAptioFixDrv + EmuVariableUEFI
OsxAptioFixDrv
OsxAptioFixDrv2 + EmuVariableUEFI + slide=0
also with OsxAptioFixDrv3 but no with OsxAptioFixDrv2-free2000 cause of his bad hardware reputation.

Result: some combinations boot, other doesn't boot at all as I should be.
To mention: I tried also the new OcQuirks memory driver. My machine boot just without EmuVariableUEFI driver but acts weird...I think it's a bit old for this, and I'm using Clover. Furthermore it's not solving my problem.

DSDT static patch
I've tried also applying common static patch reported in
carefully taking into account of the bracket hints. No luck!

Windows 10 attendance
Yes, I've tried all of this in a dual boot architecture on the same SSD. Windows is shutting down correctely, MacOS don't.
I'd reinstall completely High Sierra with and without Windows for at least one time. No changing in behaviour.

I think that's really all about these corona-virus weeks,
Hope that's someone could see something new to try, I leave my debug zip file as per FAQ.
Hoping also that this thread is useful for someone that, having simil problem, want to have a recap for the shutdown issue strategies...a solving map, let's say

Attachments

• debug_22216.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
Hello people,

Here to share my trip and eventually find help

System info and problem description
Asus N55SL
i7-2860qm + HD3000 (CPU upgraded)
HM65
wifi+bluetooth replaced with BCM4352

As object says, I have this issue regarding both shutdown and sleep.
MacOS seems off/sleeping but cpu fans and leds are still on, furthermore, the display is completely turned off (no blacklight at all).

I'm on this laptop for an update from El Capitan, but I was encountering this problem also there.
The overall performance is quite good except for video glitches appearing sometimes, especially in video playback, common on sandy bridge I read.

What is strange?
Well,
  • When I launch the shutdown command MacOS goes off (or at least seems) and USB power seems also to left from USB devices.
    Note: the external mouse is flashing his laser light just when I "click" on the buttons, regular laser light present on his normal functioning is gone.
  • Another strange behaviour is when I check the "fixShutdown" on clover, in the shutdown final stage (display off) cpu fans start spin a lot more, like the CPU is looping something.
    Differently, this behaviour isn't happening without the fix, fans still spinning but at low speed with no hot air at all.
    Tried also "fix shutdown v2" static patch in DSDT. Same behaviour as clover fixShutdown.
  • When I left the external USB mouse attached but on the Atheros USB3 slot, sometimes the laptop reboots instead of shutdown and sometimes go straight to the "limbo" state.
  • Ethernet adapter behaves weird also, when I'm connected to the wifi, it appears on "network" settings with "self-assigned IP" even if it is not connected, when I remove and re-add the adapter it goes to "Not Connected".
  • NVRAM reset fail in clover, usually it has to reboot the system but it's not happening. Don't know why, correctly reset just booting from USB stick.

Hack implementations
  • Discrete GPU is hotpatch to be disable.
  • Battery indicator is also hotpatch to have it working.
  • Native power management is handled by the custom SSDT created with ssdtPRGen.sh (again, because it's sandy bridge).
  • Custom SSDT for USBinjectall has been implemented fo USB2 (USB3 is not Intel).

WHAT HAS BEEN TRIED
USB definition or power-related

After beeing sure that SSDT-UIAC wasn't helping, I tried to unload the 3rd part kext for USB3, no luck. I still think it could be a USB power issue but I can't detect it or know how to fix.
Reading https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-usb-power-property-injection-for-sierra-and-later.222266/
I tried both to rename EC0 to EC. Nothing changed, except that it isn't boot with DDGPU and battery SSDTs added in Clover/ACPI/Patched.
Adding USBX device in SSDT-UIAC. Still nothing.
Note: there are an USB internal card reader (no detected at all by the MacOS) that I'd tried to disable by BIOS with no luck for shutdown and an internal webcam (this one detected but seems not working), tried also to disable in BIOS.

BIOS and Intel ME firmwares
Reading like all the shutdown-related post on this forum and came back with this 2 firmwares definition could be related to my problem.
BIOS updated and nothing changed (also bricked a mobo BIOS chip, trying to update the full BIOS instaed of the update-version one, ntd).
Intel Management firmware update done too, I'd discovered that the ASUS BIOS update make no modification on the ME firmware (both up and downgrade). Mine is now the last available for my mobo series.

NVRAM and drivers
After I found out that my NVRAN could working native I've implemented it (no RC scripts and no EmuVariable, just APTIOMemoryFix)
Tried to shutdown. Nothing.
I've then tried various memory fix drivers in combinations with "slide=0" flag and EmuVariableUEFI.efi driver as I read about in some posts:
APCIMemoryFix + EmuVariableUEFI + slide=0
APCIMemoryFix + EmuVariableUEFI
OsxAptioFixDrv + EmuVariableUEFI + slide=0
OsxAptioFixDrv + EmuVariableUEFI
OsxAptioFixDrv
OsxAptioFixDrv2 + EmuVariableUEFI + slide=0
also with OsxAptioFixDrv3 but no with OsxAptioFixDrv2-free2000 cause of his bad hardware reputation.

Result: some combinations boot, other doesn't boot at all as I should be.
To mention: I tried also the new OcQuirks memory driver. My machine boot just without EmuVariableUEFI driver but acts weird...I think it's a bit old for this, and I'm using Clover. Furthermore it's not solving my problem.

DSDT static patch
I've tried also applying common static patch reported in
carefully taking into account of the bracket hints. No luck!

Windows 10 attendance
Yes, I've tried all of this in a dual boot architecture on the same SSD. Windows is shutting down correctely, MacOS don't.
I'd reinstall completely High Sierra with and without Windows for at least one time. No changing in behaviour.

I think that's really all about these corona-virus weeks,
Hope that's someone could see something new to try, I leave my debug zip file as per FAQ.
Hoping also that this thread is useful for someone that, having simil problem, want to have a recap for the shutdown issue strategies...a solving map, let's say
try running these in terminal:
Code:
sudo pmset -a standby 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage

Oh, i've done that. Thanks.
Sorry, forgot to mention...too many things :mrgreen:

Oh, i've done that. Thanks.
Sorry, forgot to mention...too many things :mrgreen:
i only mentioned as you hadn't done it as evidence from your files you uploaded

You're completely right. I've done a fresh install this morning and I forgot to redo that.

Here you are. Done, tested, isn't working I'm afraid..

Thanks for replying

Attachments

• debug_14369.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
You're completely right. I've done a fresh install this morning and I forgot to redo that.

Here you are. Done, tested, isn't working I'm afraid..

Thanks for replying
AsusNBFnKeys.kext has been depreciated now, AsusSMC.kext is the newest version to use

GenericUSBXHCI.kext is probably not required for your hardware

you may want to enable these in config.plist:
Code:
<key>FixTMR</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FixRTC</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FixIPIC</key>
                <false/>
                <key>FixHPET</key>
                <false/>

you may want to enable:
Code:
<key>PluginType</key>
                <false/>

AsusNBFnKeys.kext has been depreciated now, AsusSMC.kext is the newest version to use
Not interested in having that keys working for now. I've installed that kext only yesterday to be sure some special keys wasn't interfering with shutdown.

GenericUSBXHCI.kext is probably not required for your hardware
My USB3 stop working without it but I have noted this "XHCI" in IOregistryExplorer, maybe I need FakePCI_XHCIMux?

you may want to enable these in config.plist:
FixHPET was already checked for AppleALC (don't know why u see that it's not)
Checked the others, no chance

you may want to enable:
isn't it not necessary due to Sandy Bridge/SSDT presence as reported
?
(Haven't check yet, not sure)

Attachments

• debug_30305.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
Not interested in having that keys working for now. I've installed that kext only yesterday to be sure some special keys wasn't interfering with shutdown.

My USB3 stop working without it but I have noted this "XHCI" in IOregistryExplorer, maybe I need FakePCI_XHCIMux?

FixHPET was already checked for AppleALC (don't know why u see that it's not)
Checked the others, no chance

isn't it not necessary due to Sandy Bridge/SSDT presence as reported
?
(Haven't check yet, not sure)
probably because i was going by your hardware profile......

Sorry Sir,
hardware specs are included in the first post and in every debug dump, my fault to havn't fixed also in the profile.

UPDATE:
seems that sleep is broken on windows too...same reaction as sleep/shutdown encountered on MacOs.
It is probably a Bios Firmware/UEFI issue laptop specific.

Another weird thing: if one boot windows 10 directly from bios, the audio device is not recognize by the OS.
Differently, booting windows through clover audio is instead working normally; I've have read something about this problem related specifically to N55SL/F machines. The strange behavior is apparently connected with GPT formatted HDD/SDDs.
Never know nothing about sleep..this is new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back