Graphics
i
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I don't have the standoffs anymore. I kind of made a mistake and gave it to one of my handy family members to work on and he didn't really help.. ANYWAY

I want to mount the motherboard mount still obviously. Is it possible to simply bolt it to the back and then solder it to the inside of the case? It should be safe and ok that way, right?

I also have an issue in that my door to the case doesn't close because my family member lost the two little plastic parts out of the three that keep it locked. Is there anything I can do about that?

I want to mount the motherboard mount still obviously. Is it possible to simply bolt it to the back and then solder it to the inside of the case? It should be safe and ok that way, right?

I don't think that would work.... I think the aluminum case would draw away too much of the heat your applying with the soldering device.

I would try JB Welding them back into their spots, but it might be difficult holding them straight.

I also have an issue in that my door to the case doesn't close because my family member lost the two little plastic parts out of the three that keep it locked. Is there anything I can do about that?

Um, that really sucks. :(

Hmmm without the standoffs is there anything I can do then? JB weld the mobo mount to the side of the case and of course having it bolted to the back?

I think he lost my standoffs too.. I made a little bit of a mistake here giving it to him! I only wanted him to cut the back out for me too because I didn't have a dremel. Sigh..

I would mount the standoffs to my mobo tray and then JB weld them to the case with weights on the tray overnight (put JB weld on the ends of the standoffs). Some people use this method to mount a mobo directly to the case, I would just use the tray instead. Just be careful that the tray is in the correct position while the glue dries overnight. Once the glue is dry, you can unscrew the mobo tray from the standoffs and, voila! standoffs in the perfect position.

If you dont have the original standoffs, you can use other material, like short solid aluminum bars (check out my mods in my signature) and drill and tap them.

very cool mod! i'd also like to know how you mounted the power supply on the shelf... i have the same idea but i'm not really sure how to go about doing it. on my other case the PSU was mounted to the back and I thought about doing something similar with a small hole for the inlet, but i wasn't sure how to make it steady on the shelf.. or even make the shelf steady as it is rocking back and forth a little now. i saw you had the snap in inlet but i'm a little scared to mess with my psu!

In Sheep I used a modular PSU and only connected the cables that I needed. In Eerie I used a wired PSU and modded the wires, but I didn't open the PSU in either of them, because I didn't want to void my warranties. I drilled holes in the top shelf that lined up with the screws holding the PSU together and then removed the screws and used them to attach the PSU to the shelf. I only used 3 on each PSU because there was a pre-existing cut out where the 4th one would land.

Check here for details on Sheep: http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods...wolf-sheeps-clothing-progress.html#post381437 The little black screws are the screws holding the PSU to the shelf.

I used the same method for Eerie.

The "snap" inlet on my mods is actually a screw connect model that I stole from an old PSU. The inlets on the PSU's were untouched. I created a small "extension" cable that plugs into the PSU and is soldered to the rear of the inlet that is mounted to the G5 chassis.

Start at the third photo in the post here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods/63615-eerie-blue-glow-my-second-g5-mod-2.html#post406931

Hope this helps.

I ended up just making a little lip and jb welding it to the case! Yay finally. Now I don't know where to put the power supply.. but that's another issue lol

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 119
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back