Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
2x HD 6870
Hi everyone. This post details my Power Mac G5 case mod. I had never intended to post my experiences online, so the only photos I have are the ones that I just took on an old camera. I had wanted to do such a G5 case mod for quite a while, so when I finally had some money in the bank AND Sandy Bridge had just come out, it seemed like a sign from above. :D So, without further ado...

Parts list (prices are from memory):
CPU: Sandy Bridge Core i7-2600K 3.4 GHz – A$330
CPU cooler: Thermalright Archon – A$89
Mobo: Asus P8P67-M PRO (uATX, B3 stepping) – A$176
RAM: 4 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 (borrowed from work, soon to be replaced)
PSU: A-Power (never heard of them) 680 W (I know that I should replace it, but it works really well) – A$50 on eBay :S
Graphics: Palit GeForce 9800 GT (old, will probably replace this with an AMD something; its fan is easily the noisiest part in the case) – A$126
HDDs: 160 GB and 1 TB Seagates, nothing special – A$(no clue)
Case: Power Mac G5 1.8GHz DP with electronics inc. PSU removed, but fans included – A$150
OS: Retail Snow Leopard, of course, assisted by MultiBeast and BridgeHelper. (BTW, I would love to see some edited DSDTs in the Database for Asus LGA 1155 mobos – I see that Gigabyte DSDTs have just been added.)

I was considering using an old full-ATX mobo, but that would require some huge changes to the inside and outside of the case. Micro-ATX on the other hand, is almost perfect for the case. G5 standoffs were pulled off with pliers, the repositioned in the layout defined in the uATX datasheet easily found from Wikipedia, using the rear PCI slot positions as a guide. I used copious amounts of epoxy to keep them in place.
casemoboplate.jpg

Here is the motherboard itself, with the (massive) Thermalright Archon cooler attached. The Archon lends itself well to the G5's "zoned" approach to cooling. Air is sucked in the front by the CPU fan, and exhausted out the back, practically unobstructed. You will notice that I did not use the front or rear G5 CPU fans, despite them being supplied with the case. They are very well suited to cooling a pair of G5 heatsinks in specific positions, but in this mod they are neither suitable nor necessary.
mobo1.jpg

mobo2t.jpg

The power supply was held in place by screws through the bottom the case, a little below the CPU heatsink. Mains power was connected by using one of those PC power extenders, the male end of which was epoxyed into the little grey plastic sleeve, which in turn was epoxyed to the case. Used vaseline-impregnated paper to keep the surface of the glue at the back flat, and to keep glue from leaking into the connection area.
power3y.jpg

power2h.jpg

power1l.jpg

Next – back panel. All that I really did, with the help of my brother Sam, was cut out a portion of the G5 back panel with the Dremel, to expose the motherboard connections. Here, without motherboard:
backpanel1.jpg

And with motherboard:
packpanel2.jpg

As for the graphics card and its associated cooling, I have a bit of a gripe. This 9800 GT, although a fast-for-its-time card which I have overclocked by flashing the ROM of, seems to enjoy running its fan at full speed dring boot, before drivers are loaded. Very annoying. And even when the fan slows down, it is easily the loudest component in the case (perhaps a worn sleeve bearing?). I can't wait to get rid of this thing – I recently tried a Radeon 5750 in the case, and my machine was suddenly whisper quiet. So, the GPU sits in the rightmost (bottom?) PCIe slot of the mobo, where it rests directly on the Archon, insulated with some thin card. Almost a perfect fit, although Thermalright state with the Archon, the expansion slot in that position should be left empty. Poor research on my part, but it luckily worked out in the end.
gpu1.jpg

The front fan which blows air into the PCI thermal zone is operated at 5V, "borrowed" from one of the unused PSU power connectors. I won't bore you with details on how to get the stock fans working – pinouts are easily found on Google. The fan (and unused speaker) assembly is supported by an abbreviated G5 thermal zone separator plate, cut to fit fairly snugly around the mobo, and to stop short of the Archon.
gpu1.jpg

The front panel was easy. Just picked the connector contacts out of one end of the supplied front panel connector, and soldered them to appropriate cables which connect to headers on the motherboard. Note that FireWire ground is needed for the power LED and button to work. I actually made the FW cable too short (duh), so I have just extended it with a pair of wires to connect to the mobo's ground pins for the time being. Piece of cake.
frontpanel.jpg

Finally, the drive bay. I just love the layout of this part of the case. Even though I hate optical drives with a passion (enough to exclude them from the parts list xD), I accept them as a necessary evil – I grabbed a cheapo LG SATA drive from work. Power is supplied to the drives through the native black cable running under the motherboard, attached to the PSU molex plugs by means of a simple adaptor. Again, Google will yield appropriate pinouts. Puzzlingly, there are two fans in the drive bay. One has obvious front-to-back airflow. I run this one at 3.3 V, and it keeps the drives quite cool. The other one seems to be a centrifugal fan drawing air from the gap under the mobo and exhausting it through the far-end of the drive bay. I would love to hear explanations about this from commenters.
drive1.jpg

So in conclusion, although this G5 mod is not nearly as ambitions or inspirational as some others that can be found on the web, I hope that it serves to show that such a project can be well within the abilities of just about everyone with the right interest and motivation. If a 17-year-old can do this in between his mid-year exams, so can you. XD. I'd love to hear advice on how to continue with this mod from commenters.
finalky.jpg

Great job!

Man your CPU cooler must be mm from the side panel lol
Your wiring for the front IO almost looks like mine before I got a cable premade.

What's the reasoning of why you went G5 case if I may ask?

eelhead said:
Great job!

Man your CPU cooler must be mm from the side panel lol
Your wiring for the front IO almost looks like mine before I got a cable premade.

What's the reasoning of why you went G5 case if I may ask?

Thank you. Yeah, the cooler is much closer to the side than I mentioned, but it does fit, if I leave the perspex cover off.

As for choosing the G5 case – I made my first hackintosh over a year ago, after about a year using Windows. I happened upon a G5 case mod on InsanelyMac, and I thought, what a beauty. So, given the opportunity, I made my own. Of course I considered a Mac Pro case as well, but the G5 seemed more suited to ATX parts. It was great fun.

BTW eelhead, your case mod is fantastic.

elliot.h.nunn said:
BTW eelhead, your case mod is fantastic.
Thanks!
It was my first one, hence the change in mobo tray mid build. Also my first hack as well.
Figure I would go all out lol

Same with me on why I chose a G5 case. Searched around about a Mac substatute and came across this site and then thought about how cool it would be to put it in a Mac Pro case. When I searched that I found that I wasn't the only cool person who thought of it lol.
That's when I found out the G5 was more my style for fitting in my hardware and so I went to town lol.

Elliot! It's great!!!

I do at the same way. I only need to finish the firewire cable (I don't have case to cut the cable) and make work the fans. I try with the diagrams they are over there, but don't work. I cut today the back.

You talk about the the native cable. Are you talking about the cable that came with the case? Your PSU looks very similar to mine. So, the other day I was talking with eelhead about my psu had a cable connection that look like the male of the original back black cable in the G5. Your are talking about that?

Thanks abelpinate for the kind words, and for your encouragement to start this thread. :)

abelpinate said:
You talk about the the native cable. Are you talking about the cable that came with the case? Your PSU looks very similar to mine. So, the other day I was talking with eelhead about my psu had a cable connection that look like the male of the original back black cable in the G5. Your are talking about that?

The black cable I'm talking about (to be very clear) is the long black one that comes from the drive bay. This cable has eight pins (essentially two for each pin of molex power), but is it NOT compatible with anything on your PSU (even though they are similar, and might even fit together). Drive bay cable carries 12V and 5V; PSU 8-pin, for CPU power, carries only 12V. So the way I did it, was to use a female 8-pin which I dug up, and a pair of male molex power plugs, making a simple adaptor to supply the drive bay. Probably not the best explanation, so how about this:

8pinpower.png

Pretend that you are looking at the exposed metal contacts of the plug. The wires are away from you, and the clipping-tab is up.
Red (+5V), yellow (+12V) and black/grey (ground) in the diagram correspond to the same colours on PSU wires, so it should be a good guide for wiring up your own adaptor. And it doesn't matter which ground goes where, and the same for the other lines. Just test it on something "spare" first!

And if it helps, here is a picture of my own adaptor:
img2011061500068.jpg

Good luck!

EDIT: wrong image URLs

A postscript: after years of faithful service (including a rebuild and some time as a Fedora machine) this Hackintosh has been put out to pasture. The CPU actually lives on in my FreeNAS box, but the modded case has been snapped up by an enterprising dumpster diver. My daily driver is a 2018 MacBook Pro and the “Hackintoshes” I work with now are of a slightly older vintage…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back