Contribute
Register

Another newb looking for general advice (possible mATX build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi chaps. I've managed to order my monitor which is a start!

I'm still deciding whether to go mATX or mini ITX. I want to want the mini ITX, but I have a couple of concerns/questions:

1. RAM - the ITX has 2 RAM slots and the Gigabyte Z77 can apparently support only 16GB. However, since Ivy Bridge supports up to 32GB, is it possible that when 16GB modules become available, you could stick 2 in and they would work?

2. Using the mini PCIe for a wifi card and the regular PCIe for a graphics card, there's no more internal expandability. However, it seems that a lot of PCI cards probably won't work nicely with OSX anyway. What things do people here stick in their spare PCI slots? I want to figure out whether I might value the expandability or whether it's something that I can probably do without.

Also, am I right in thinking any half height mini PCIe wifi card based on the Atheros AR9280 chip will be recognised as an Airport card with no problems on the Z77N wifi?

Thanks!

Hai....
Just want to share here. My current Hackintosh built with MSI H77MA-G43. i3-2100, XFX HD 5770 and 8gb RAM only. IMO... 16gb RAM is to much, as you can save your budget for another parts (for better CPU or HDD/SSD maybe).
My Hackintosh have been running for 7 months now... with no problems occur or kernel panics & everything works fine. No DSDT needed, Running 99.9999% like real MAC :-], dual boot Lion & Mount Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back