i5-750
Graphics
HD 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I am thinking of another Hackintosh build and I already have some idea of the components. Some of them are straight from the "buyer's guide", but some of them are changed. I also have some questions related to the chipset of the MOBO.

My initial config is with the following components:

MB: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H rev. 1.0, F5 (Update)
CPU: Intel i5-4460
RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2CP8G3D1608DT1TX0CEU (Update)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Update)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 750 OC N750OC-2GI(Update)
PSU: Corsair CS550M

* I will skip the GPU for now, but I consider purchasing some kind of decent GPU (nVidia 750)
* This build will be used mostly for running Adobe CC (Design and Photo editing)

1. Is there a good reason to choose Z97 over H97? (GA-Z97-D3H over GA-H97-D3H)?
2. Do I really need RM type of PSU or this CS550M will work fine?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
If you're still in doubt of (1), I think basically the difference would be that the Z would allow you to overclock (but seems you are not aiming for a "k" CPU), supports more RAM frecuencies and has a couple extra PCI-e slots.
So I guess it depends on future expandability of your build.

Why would you want to skip the GPU? why don't you get a GTX 650 & save a few quid, 750 isn't much better, plus the 650 is perfect for the stuff you'll be doing, onboard graphics require a little work to get them working sometimes, not saying you'll get any issues but you never know, that's why dedicated GPU is always better, save yourself a headache :yawn:

I forgot to update my first post. I will get Gigabyte GTX 750 OC. My first intention was to work without GPU for a while, but then I decided no skip the headache that you mentioned :)

Thanks for the proposal. I will take a look at the GTX 650

No problem :]

The problem with Haswell builds is, if you're not careful selecting your components (memory & PSU), you'll encounter the dreaded "Haswell Freeze." So, make sure your memory is on the motherboard's Memory Support List, and the PSU is rated Haswell "ready" or "certified." The good news is that your PSU is rated for Haswell use.

Corsair memory seems to cause the dreaded freeze so we removed it from our recommended memory. For those reasons, the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide now recommends the Crucial Budget & Tactical memory (not the Sport). Just make sure that the memory is on Memory Support List and you've research the use of the memory in the User's Builds and Guides forum sections.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, @Stork,

I double checked that this Corsair memory is compatible with the selected motherboard.

My first choice was Crucial Ballistix Tactical, but unfortunately it is not in my MOBO's support list. As far as I read here (http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/148289-memory-corrupted-after-longer-sleep-3.html#post966861) Crucial Ballistix Fails sometimes.

The other option that I have i to go with Kingston HyperX Fury, but in my local store there are only 8gb sticks (they don't have 2x8Gb Kit)

What will be your suggestion about the memory?

Edit: I found that in my MOBO Memory Support list Crucial Ballistix Tactical is listed as single 8Gb stick. I guess "8-8-8-24 1.5V XMP BLT2CP8G3D1608DT1TX0CEU" is the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back