Contribute
Register

Annoying issue with internet connection GA-Z77N-Wifi MB with ML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Hans,

I'm having the exact same problem you were having, and I am also not using wireless. (I have an MSI Z77MA-G45 motherboard.) For me, the internet connection works if I have the ethernet cable plugged in when I boot up, but if I (1) boot up without the cable, then plug it in later or (2) boot up with the cable, then remove it later, and then plug it back in -- then the computer won't connect to the Internet. When the cable is plugged in but the computer isn't connecting to the internet, the auto-assigned IP address is also in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range and the subnet mask is also 255.255.0.0; and manually entering in the IP address, subnet mask, and router address does not solve the problem.

I installed Lnx2Mac's Realtek drivers from MultiBeast.

Where did you get those other kexts? Has installing them eliminated the problem? Have you tried installing the Realtek drivers from the Realtek site, as JimmyS recommended?

Thanks!

Hi
check out this link.
that really works.

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the link and thanks for your fast response. I installed the kext, and rebooted, but I'm still having the same problem (when I boot with the ethernet cable plugged, I am connected to the Internet; but after I unplug the ethernet cable, and then plug it back in again, I cannot connect to the Internet anymore and my IP address is 169.254.xxx.xxx and my subnet mask is 255.255.0.0).

Did I install the kext incorrectly? Here's what I did:

1. Used Kext Wizard to install AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext to System/Library/Extensions. I checked (enabled) "Backup kexts that will be replaced."
2. After the kext installed, in Kext Wizard, I clicked on "System/Library/Extensions" so that both "Repair permissions" and "Rebuild cache" were checked.
3. Then I rebooted, successfully loaded up a webpage in Firefox, then unplugged and re-plugged my ethernet cable, and then could not connect to the Internet anymore.
4. Then I used Kext Wizard again to install AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext to System/Library/Extensions, but this time I left unchecked "Backup kexts that will be replaced."
5. After the kext installed, I clicked on "System/Library/Extensions" so that both "Repair permissions" and "Rebuild cache" were checked.
6. Reboot. Internet connection works. Unplug and then replug ethernet cable. No more Internet connection.

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks again for your help!

Why not just keep your ethernet cable plugged in? :)

It seems there is such problem with H77N-WiFi as well. I've tried both kexts (lnx2mac's and the Realtek's official) and the same issue occurs with my board as well. Good thing my WiFi card (Atheros 9280) works perfectly.

Yes why do you unplug the network cable?
I didn't try to unplug because I have no reason to do so and mine works till now very stable.

Well, if a network card and its drivers are working properly, then you should be able to unplug it, plug it back in, and re-establish your Internet connection. I just want my Hackintosh to work properly.:) So far, everything's been working great except for this network card issue.

The Tonymacx86 forums have been really helpful; I'm really happy with my new machine.:D

Did anyone manage to find a solution for this plugging/unplugging issue?

As annoying as it can be, all you really have to do is open up System Preferences > Network > Highlight the connection in question > click the gear icon > Make Service Inactive > Apply > click the gear icon > Make Service Active > Apply.

Also, I know it's an old thread but I had a similar issue, found this thread and figured I'd post my solution.

Edit: This solution worked for me in both Mountain Lion as well as Mavericks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back