Intel Core i5 3750k
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
AndrewMRiv's CustoMacMini File Server - GA-H97N-WIFI - Core i3-4350​

Minimalistic CustoMacMini based on the most affordable components from the November 2014 Buyer's Guide

case.jpg
Components

Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi (Mini-ITX) - Amazon US | Newegg

Intel Core i3-4350 - Amazon US | Newegg

Thermaltake Slim X3 Low Profile (Air) - Amazon US | Newegg

Crucial Ballistix Sport (8GB) - Amazon US | Newegg

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - Amazon US | Newegg

Apex MI-008 (w/ 250W Power Supply) - Amazon US | Newegg

Qualcomm Atheros Wireless AR5BHB92 AR9280 - Amazon US (Get this instead of the TP-Link WDN-4800)

Already Owned

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable - 6.5 Feet - Amazon US

Apple Wired Keyboard - Amazon US | Newegg

Apple Wired "Mighty" Mouse - Amazon US | Newegg

Westinghouse TV 22" - (Temporary use. I don't recommend buying this)

Comments

The purpose of this build is to be used as a File and Media server for the people in my household. It is going to hold my iTunes Library to serve media to a couple of Apple TVs too. On top of this, it will collect Time Machine Backups from the Macs in my house.

I currently have this little Hackintosh plugged into a piece of crap Westinghouse TV via HDMI. When I first tried to install OS X from my UniBeast drive, my install froze after selecting the language.

I restarted and started the install in safe mode (booting with -x) and installed with no problems.

When the install was finished, I restarted my computer and upon trying to start OS X, the screen got fuzzy and froze so I restarted. Unsure as to what it was, I booted in verbose mode (-v) and there ended up being no issues and the install completed. I can't explain what it was. Maybe it was the fact that I was using an HDMI cable. Since then, I have not had to use any special boot flags.

I have included the bios and MultiBeast settings that I used for this build.

Wifi
I followed the buyer's guide blindly and purchased the TP Link TL-WDN4800 only to find out that it was a PCIe. This motherboard only has 1 "PCI" and 1 "PCI mini" port. No PCIe. I was a bit upset with the buyer's guide but at the same time, I should have double checked which ports were on that motherboard.

Instead, I purchased the Qualcomm Atheros Wireless AR5BHB92 AR9280. The Mini PCIe Wifi that comes with this motherboard is NOT compatible with OS X so I removed it. You can do so by turning the motherboard upside down and unscrewing the few screws holding it in. Remove the two small cables attached to it and safely pull the Mini PCIe card out.

In its place, throw in the Qualcomm Atheros card. Do not forget to attach the two small cables (antenna) to the new wifi card or you will not be able to connect to the internet. Also do not forget to connect the antenna that came with the motherboard to the back of the computer or your signal will be weak.

Setup

BIOS
These are the BIOS settings that I used (from Stork's Hector Build) :
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]M.I.T. > Advanced Memory Settings > X.M.P. > Profile 1 for memory not recognized with the Default setting;[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]BIOS Features > Boot Options Priorities > set this to the P0 setting for the UniBeast USB thumb drive[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]BIOS Features > VT-d > Disable <--- for non K processors[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Peripherals > Initial Display Output > IGFX <--- make sure on-board graphics is enabled[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Peripherals > Intel Processor Graphics > Enable <--- likewise, make sure this is enabled[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Power Management > Wake on LAN > Disable[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]Save & Exit > Save & Exit Setup (and the computer will reboot)[/COLOR]

MultiBeast
These are the MultiBeast settings that I used.
Quick Start > DSDT Free
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892
Drivers > Trim Enabler > 10.10.x TRIM Patch
Drivers > Network > Atheros AtherosL1cEthernet
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e
Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset
Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac 14,2

multibeast.jpg
View attachment multibeast-save.mb

I will update this topic on what does and does not work based on what I test!

What works:
  • Server App
  • iTunes Match
  • iTunes Home Sharing
  • App Store
  • iCloud

What does not work:
  • iMessage

Last edited by a moderator:
AndrewMRiv's CustoMacPro - GA-Z77X-UD5H - Intel Core i5-3570K

I accidentally made the title of this topic the name of my other Hackintosh build. Can a mod change it to:
AndrewMRiv's CustoMacMini File Server - GA-H97N-WIFI - Core i3-4350

I accidentally made the title of this topic the name of my other Hackintosh build. Can a mod change it to:
AndrewMRiv's CustoMacMini File Server - GA-H97N-WIFI - Core i3-4350

Done! Enjoy your hackintosh.

Done! Enjoy your hackintosh.

Thank you very much! Also thank you for your post on your entry level build. If it weren't for your BIOS and Multibeast settings, this would not have been so easy for me to do. :D

Thanks. I just finished replacing the H97N's WiFi/BT card with an iMac 11ac/BT 4LE card and adapter. See Post #37.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back