ATi Radeon HD 4570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello ppl,

I was "studying" the CustoMac builds @ tonymacx86.blogspot.com/, when I realized there was no Audio card in the Specs... why? :?

PS: sorry for my poor English, i'm from Portugal...

MacMan said:
Because the onboard sound is supported.

Thanks for your answer, MacMan :)
Alright, just to get this confirmed, when the Audio card is not included on the CustoMac list, that means I won't need to buy because it and the sound still works without it?

Thanks in advance :)

PS: I apologize if i'm getting annoying, but I really need to make sure I don't buy the wrong hardware xD

lopesmaio said:
MacMan said:
Because the onboard sound is supported.

Thanks for your answer, MacMan :)
Alright, just to get this confirmed, when the Audio card is not included on the CustoMac list, that means I won't need to buy because it and the sound still works without it?

Thanks in advance :)

PS: I apologize if i'm getting annoying, but I really need to make sure I don't buy the wrong hardware xD

Yes. Very few sound cards are supported by Mac OS X, anyway. The only reliable ones are based on USB, which support only stereo. As far as I know, the old ones that used to work, like ESI Juli@, won't support 64-bit mode, so forget sound cards and choose a motherboard with a realtek chipset. ;)

(sorry about taking so long before answering)

Thanks RedChief :D (and MacMan too, of course), for your great answers! This thread is ready to close :D

When I first tried to install Snow Leopard, I could not get the motherboard audio working, no matter what I did.

I don't like the sound from the motherboard anyway, so I disabled it in the BIOS and used a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value and the kX driver. Works well, no input but I can live with that.

This incident just reinforced my conviction that I will avoid motherboard audio for as long as possible.

In my experience, as long as you don't get a POS mobo, the onboard sound is fine if not great. My P8P67 supports toslink, analog, HDMI (in windows.. not in OS X) with zero issues. Just installed the audio kexts included in MultiBeast and your off to the races.

Is 5.1 or 7.1 supported in OSX through the digital (SPDIF/optical) out of the gigabyte z68 boards?

Also, eibborthompson, I've read that there is a solution to getting HDMI audio in OSX (out of your GPU?). Maybe you can find something on the forum that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back