CPU
E5-2660
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Will this spec be capable of running Bug Sur?

1. CPU: Xeon E3-1265L (yes, the one you can find in a MicroServer Gen8, which is technically a 1260L with an upgraded iGPU)
  2. RAM: 16G generic DDR3
  3. SSD: a random MSATA drive (I heard starting from Mojave NVME and MSATA works natively)
  4. WIFI: a BCM OSX-compatible card in Mini-PCIE form factor
  5. GPU: HD 7750 (I assume since Apple is a friend of AMD, so all their cards are gonna work right?)
This spec is like dreaming back in time to 2013. So I doubt even with OpenCore will this work, let alone be smooth enough.

Will this spec be capable of running Bug Sur?

1. CPU: Xeon E3-1265L (yes, the one you can find in a MicroServer Gen8, which is technically a 1260L with an upgraded iGPU)
  2. RAM: 16G generic DDR3
  3. SSD: a random MSATA drive (I heard starting from Mojave NVME and MSATA works natively)
  4. WIFI: a BCM OSX-compatible card in Mini-PCIE form factor
  5. GPU: HD 7750 (I assume since Apple is a friend of AMD, so all their cards are gonna work right?)
This spec is like dreaming back in time to 2013. So I doubt even with OpenCore will this work, let alone be smooth enough.
What is the motherboard you are using with this system?

Not all AMD graphics cards will work with MacOS, but your HD 7750 should work.

Your SSD is connected via SATA and so it should work on all MacOS versions (even old ones like Yosemite).

Your Sandy Bridge based Xeon CPU should also work. I had a previous system on a Xeon E3 1240 that can run MacOS (from Mountain Lion to High Sierra at least) but is now back to running Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 LTSB 2015.

@Jamesbond007 it's actually an industrial class motherboard which iirc is H61(? my memory is fuzzy on the chipset), where it has a mini pcie slot (but the seller exclusively tell me to use it for network appliances -- don't use it for like a mini pcie sata controller) so that I can put a BCM card on it, then there is another mSATA slot which I originally planned to run a Xpenology boot loader (that's right, this motherboard used to be part of my fabulous plan of a DIY NAS -- which it failed miserably due to heat limitation and is decommissioned since then) but now I'm going to try and get a 256GB one and go for OpenCore, hopefully it will work one-shot without any tinkering and long term issue cause this might end up someone's bedroom...

With OpenCore the build can even support Big Sur. You need to add radpg=15 into the boot arguments for your HD 7750.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back