Contribute
Register

AMD's Radeon 370 - 380 - 390(X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With AMD primary, Intel must be disabled.

What bootloader are you using? If Chimera, see Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition. If Clover, is CsmVideoDxe-64.efi installed?
This how I use it with Yosemite, amd is set to primary and Intel disabled in bios. In El Capitan the only way to use it is to boot via intel, then reconnect to AMD.

I use Clover, and no CsmVideoDxe-64.efi is not installed.
I've tried as suggested setting Intel as primary and disabling it in bios, while connected to AMD, so while booting I can see verbose, but once verbose is over monitor loses connection.

Here I've repeated the same settings as per
Post #55, patched Labrador buffer for HDMI, difference being that this time I've injected Intel ID via clover, I've booted with Intel set as primary and once OS has loaded I've reconnected to AMD, this time having properly injected Intel 4600 ID I don't have dual screen issues aka a ghost monitor with AMD, but I can't boot while connected to AMD, that's the main problem.

So here's a new IOREG, Once loaded to OS I've connected to AMD, opened IOReg explorer and saved the output.

Attachments

• iMac.ioreg
    5 MB · Views: 159
I use Clover, and no CsmVideoDxe-64.efi is not installed.
Post #55, patched Labrador buffer for HDMI
BIOS/Boot/CSM Disabled?
Post #55 screenshot is different from attached IOReg (HDAU is missing).

BIOS/Boot/CSM Disabled?
Post #55 screenshot is different from attached IOReg (HDAU is missing).

I'm probably seeing the wrong Post #55
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 3.02.00 AM.png

If you mean this post below then it's a screenshot from Yosemite, on an El Capitan I haven't set up audio yet.
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 3.02.17 AM.png

CSM is a legacy boot? I only boot using UEFI.

Thinking about that Yosemite screenshot and HDAU, I thought I might try enabling audio, because since a card have HDMI it might needs to have audio established first, just a guess, because on Yosemite even HDMI audio works, but unfortunately right now I can't make audio to work, because I've updated public beta 1 to beta 2 and in a beta 2 Clover injections no longer work, if I instal kexts (FakeSMC, Network) to L/E it doesn't load, if I install kexts to S/L/E it only loads FakeSMC, if I touch something in S/L/E like for example remove RealtekRTL81xx, next boot it refuses to load FakeSMC I have to rebuild cache, so Fakesmc is the only kext I can load at the moment, because Clover injections are not working, L/E location is not working either, no boot args help, tired kext-dev-mod, rootless, none work anymore...
So I can't test it any further, will have to wait for clover updates or new ways to load kexts.

I'm probably seeing the wrong Post #55
CSM is a legacy boot? I only boot using UEFI.
none work anymore...
My mistake, Post #53. Yes. Yosemite is fine. I found the answer, no further action requested.
UEFI boot graphics requires GOP. If the graphics card is not GOP, CSM enables legacy graphics boot.
10.11, install FakeSMC in S/L/E. Restore everything where it was. Boot rootless=0, rebuild cache, remove rootless=0 and restart.

R9 380, former R9 285, are both based on Tonga architecture, furthermore Tonga is now called Antigua Pro. The support for this cards, in theory, should starts with iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) which uses AMD Radeon R9 M295X -Tonga architecture.

The latest MAC Book Pro with retina display 2015 is using AMD Radeon R9 M370X - Cape Verde chip present in HD 7770 and R7 250x - I'm not sure if anyone reported an R7 250X working out of the box.

Cape Verde works perfectly fine in theory, support started with 10.8.x.
However, Apple decided to break the auto-init code for this card with 10.10.3, see here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...update-black-screen-cursor-2.html#post1018020

When the card is properly initialized (=> used in a MacPro and flashed with EFI ROM) it'll work perfectly fine OOB from 10.8.5 up to El Capitan Beta. On a hackintosh it doesn't though, even with injection of 100% matching framebuffer. Only works with the patch mentioned above and GE=No.

Tried everything so far I could, probably kexts don't support it if AMD is set as a primary.
However, Apple decided to break the auto-init code for this card with 10.10.3, see here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...update-black-screen-cursor-2.html#post1018020
I took a look into my AMDRadeonX4000.kext's info.plist from both Yosemite and El capitan, noticed some differences, and there were no sensor properties in El Capitan's info.plist
Any thoughts about this?

Code:
[FONT=Helvetica Neue]<string>AMDTongaGraphicsAccelerator</string>
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue]<key>IODVDBundleName</key>
<string>AMDRadeonVADriver</string>
<key>IOKitDebug</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
<string>IOAccelerator</string>
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x69201002 0x69211002 0x69301002 0x69381002 0x69391002</string>
<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>200</integer>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
<key>IOSourceVersion</key>
<string>0.0.0.0.0</string>
<key>IOVARendererID</key>
<integer>16908288</integer>
<key>cail_properties</key>
<dict>
<key>CAIL_DisableAcpPowerGating</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>CAIL_DisableSAMUPowerGating</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>CAIL_DisableSysClockGating</key>
<integer>1</integer>
[COLOR=#ff0000]<key>CAIL_DisableUVDPowerGating</key>
<integer>1</integer>[/COLOR]
<key>CAIL_DisableVCEPowerGating</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
[COLOR=#ff0000]<key>sensor-properties</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>device_type</key>
<data>Z3B1LXNlbnNvcg==</data>
<key>location</key>
<string>GPU</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>gpu-sensor</string>
<key>polling-period</key>
<data>AAAAAQAAAAA=</data>
<key>reg</key>
<data>AAAAAg==</data>
<key>sample-period</key>
<data>AAAAAACYmAA=</data>
<key>sensor-id</key>
<data>AAAABg==</data>
<key>version</key>
<data>AAAAAg==</data>
<key>zone</key>
<data>AAAAAg==</data>[/COLOR]
</dict>
</array>
</dict>[/FONT]

here's El Capitan's

Code:
<key>AMDTongaGraphicsAccelerator</key>
<dict>
<key>ATIEnableWideBlitSupport</key>
<true/>
<key>ATIUseTearingWideBlit</key>
<false/>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.AMDRadeonX4000</string>
<key>GpuDebugPolicy</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>AMDTongaGraphicsAccelerator</string>
<key>IODVDBundleName</key>
<string>AMDRadeonVADriver</string>
<key>IOKitDebug</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
<string>IOAccelerator</string>
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x69201002 0x69211002 0x69301002 0x69381002 0x69391002</string>
<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>200</integer>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
<key>IOSourceVersion</key>
<string>0.0.0.0.0</string>
<key>IOVARendererID</key>
<integer>16908288</integer>
<key>cail_properties</key>
<dict>
<key>CAIL_DisableAcpPowerGating</key>
<integer>0</integer>
[COLOR=#ff0000]<key>CAIL_DisableJpegEngine</key>
<integer>1</integer>[/COLOR]
<key>CAIL_DisableSAMUPowerGating</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>CAIL_DisableSysClockGating</key>
<integer>1</integer>
[COLOR=#ff0000]<key>CAIL_DisableUVDPowerGating</key>
<integer>0</integer>[/COLOR]
<key>CAIL_DisableVCEPowerGating</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</dict>

Tried to match it up, to no avail....

MacMan had a great explanation in his blog post on Reference Design graphics cards several years ago:

Reference: http://macmanx86.blogspot.com/2010/12/graphics-card-support-and-mac-os-x.html

Reference design = nVidia, or AMD creates the cards/cooling, and manufacturers just rebrand them, adds their stickers, etc etc.

After a certain period of time, Sapphire, and some of the other brands will redesign the PCB's, with their own memory chips, and just getting the actual silicon from nVidia or AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back