Contribute
Register

AMD Ryzen 5XXX series Big Sur "Experimental" testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
I successfully installed Big Sur on my new Ryzen 5900X with a Gigabyte B550 Auros Pro AC(WiFi). The install took awhile to figure out, but I found a way to get booted and running the 5900X. The CPU frequency or bus ratio is out of whack (higher than normal) but it is running cool, and stable with very good CPU and GPU benchmarks. AMD Power Gadget is working with the latest commits.

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X, B550, RX 5700XT

5900X GB4.png5900X 5700XT GB4.png

5900X 5700XT GB5.png5900X GB5.png

Cinebench 5900X.png

Issue #1. Bus Ratio or frequency.
As you can see from scores that it is like pseudo-overclocked giving false performance readings. These benches were done at stock settings i.e. "Auto" settings in bios. In the days of old using Chameleon and clover to boot macOS we could use boot arg busratio=XX with XX being the frequency. This is no longer an option in Open Core. Most likely a kernel patch will take care of it in the future.

Issue #2. Audio is garbled and out of synch.
This is most likely tied to the bus ratio issue. Hopefully, this can be fixed in a new kernel patch to adjust and set to normal levels.

Temporary Solution: I found a solution for the garbled audio. It works suing motherboard (onboard) audio 1/8" audio jacks, but this may apply to other PCI or Usb adapters as well.

1. Go to top tool bar: Go/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup. Select your output device and select (2 ch 32-bit 98.0 MHz). Now your audio should function as normal but it will lag behind your video output. The timing or synch is off.

2. Download Google Chrome and install to Applications folder. Open App folder and drag Chrome to the bottom menu bar. This works for me, I now have audio fixed and in synch with the video.

Go>Utilities>Audio Midi Setup
Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 2.21.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 2.40.40 PM.png

Issue #3. AMD Graphics SSDT's. Graphics cards suffer a loss of performance using Ryzen in MacOS, Shanee is working on performance patches. These new Ryzen 5000 series however are currently running AMD cards pretty well. I am seeing better performance in benches for my graphics cards. Hopefully, this improvement wont get lost with a frequency fix for the CPUs.

Last edited:
I thought OC 0.6.4 solved the audio issues?

Did it work?

Did it work?

It synch’d the audio to the video for 1220 alc but the video card audio output is still the same (Broken up). Do you have a link to the beta 0.6.4? I found one but it’s on a github under one person so their commits may not include what Acidanthera is doing.

Just the source at Acidanthera, would have to compile it youself. I know Shanee had a binary right after the fix came out, don't know if he has updated it though. Don't use the audio from the graphics card, so never looked into that. Would like to help but can't find a cpu in stock anywhere I've looked.

Just the source at Acidanthera, would have to compile it youself. I know Shanee had a binary right after the fix came out, don't know if he has updated it though. Don't use the audio from the graphics card, so never looked into that. Would like to help but can't find a cpu in stock anywhere I've looked.
I stood in line this morning and got a 5600X, Micro Center has a listing for a RX550 that was in store only. I thought it might be a loss of 6800XTs? There were 10 3080s and they had some Ryzen 5600 and 5800 Chips. I think I got a really good 5900X.

Ryzen 5900X & RX 480 8GB Reference Card.

5900X benches.png

Ryzen 5600X & RX 480 8GB Reference Card.

5600X benches.png

There is a big difference between the "experimental" kernel patch releases. The latest with 39 patches brings the graphics back down to where they should be or where they would be on intel. The 38 patch release just prior boosts my GPU by a substantial amount.

Ryzen 5900X & RX 480 8GB.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 6.42.44 PM.png

Last edited:
I live out of the cities, nearest computer store (Fry's) is 70 miles away....

Hi @Gigamaxx , i'm trying to make a hackintosh with the same setup, but nothing is working to me, can u share your EFI folder? Or tutorial that you followed?
I need it to work, but i'm stucked =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back