Graphics
RX 6800XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just finished an install of OpenCore 0.7.6/Monterey on a Gigabyte GA-Z490 Elite Motherboard with a Core i9 10850 and a Radeon RX6800XT. Got it all installed, USB ports prefectly mapped, and everything is working.

I have noticed that the video card temps run hotter than I would expect. i have installed temperature monitoring software and the video card tends to run between 50-60 degrees C under light loads. According to the post I will link below, it is because the zero fan setting is the default in the bios and it takes the Adrenaline software running under Windows to modify the fan curve through the drivers.

I have not ever edited a GPU bios before, but started down that road following the instructions recommended in the post linked below only to find out that the Red BIOS Editor does not support the RX6800XT. I was good up to that point. I have no way to write the bios modifications back into the bios and extract the string so that it can be injected via opencore during boot up.

So here is my question. The ONLY thing I want to do with this card is disable the zero fan setting in the BIOS. That's it. I would, of course, appreciate any advice of how to tweak the fan curve while I am at it. But I would like the fan to run at a low level all the time. I have done that under Windows and the temps run around 29 deg C.

If there is another way to accomplish this? Or should I just forget it and trust that the video card will be fine, I can do that. But honestly, I do not game so am not used to even worrying about this stuff.

Note, I did use the FakeSMC kext and the ones suggested in the post below to get the temperature sensor on the GPU to work.

Here is the post that pointed out the lack of fine temp control on these cards. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-monterey-on-i9-10850k-z490m-gaming-x.310679/

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back