Contribute
Register

AMD RX 590 Graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shuhung, what was the speed difference between the true IOGVA transcode and the software transcode?

Software transcode, result is unacceptable for me.

IOGVAHEVCEncode, fast.
Basically, same transcoding performance as IQSV but system is unstable, IQSV work better on H264, RX4XX/5XX work better on HEVC.

On 10.14.1, if FCPX initiate IOGVAHEVCEncode function properly (without freeze issue), RX4XX/5XX HEVC transcoding performance should equal to HD630 IQSV H264 transcoding, both around 4.9X x 23.97 = 117.453 fps

This is fixed in 10.14.2 beta? Or does it work slightly better?

No, same issue on 10.14.2 beta 3 (18C48a).

Personally, Apple programmers seem to be heading in the wrong direction.
They don't use AMD H264 encoding function at all, just like on 10.14 dp 1 (18A293u) remove it from IOGVACodec, which greatly improve system stability.

Reactions: dez
Can I assume that a Vega should work even better?

I might be able to get a local used Frontier Edition kinda cheap...

Frontier Edition is an amazing GPU...and if you can get a good deal, go for it.

Frontier Edition is an amazing GPU...and if you can get a good deal, go for it.
...but not that amazing if it does not solve the H.264 & H.265 encode/decode issues in current or future Mojave builds.

...but not that amazing if it does not solve the H.264 & H.265 encode/decode issues in current or future Mojave builds.
This is my issue. Having a CPU without a an iGPU, makes a kickass card that doesn’t do H.264 moot. So I guess I need to build a new hack or get a Mac.

This is my issue. Having a CPU without a an iGPU, makes a kickass card that doesn’t do H.264 moot. So I guess I need to build a new hack or get a Mac.

What is really stupid is the fact Apple is touting Metal 2 as being LESS intensive on the CPU and letting the graphics card take over more of the functions.

I agree but the AMD GPU does help...in the rendering process while editing and displaying the video footage during editing...that's pretty smooth. It's just the final export (where Apple programmers are really selling short their own h/w) that really does not use the GPU.
I bet you your 6 core/12 thread CPU does a fine job of the export...may be not has quick as the iMacPro but it won't be far off. It may get a little noisy and hot relative to the real machine but you have some control over that.

I've just read so much confusing stuff. So this is the way it is on real Macs too? An iMac Pro Vega 64 doesn't use that fancy AMD chip for H.264?

H264 issue is solved in 14.2 public beta (confirmed in another thread).

H265 works fine for me in 14.1.

I will wait for official 14.2 and confirm for H264.

It’s probably something Apple is tweaking.

You need to use a Mac SMBIOS that doesn’t have a iGPU; i.e., iMac
ro.

There’s something that happens with the kernel or system (I haven’t dug deep enough) that with, let’s say, an iMac Pro SMBIOS that allows hardware acceleration of h264/h265.

Systems with iGPU use Intel's Quicksync.

In High Sierra I had zero issues with my system, iMac Pro, and h264/h265 acceleration.

In Mojave 14.1 I lost h264.

In 14.2 Public Beta its been confirmed to be back.

In 14.2 Public Beta its been confirmed to be back.

May be right for Vega GPU since it has better/native IOGVA support, but for RX4XX/5XX GPU not sure yet, at least not on 10.14.2 public beta3 18C48a.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back