Register

AMD Radeon RX 590 GME help

Motherboard
ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura
CPU
FX 8350
Graphics
RX 590
For the past week or so, I've been trying to get MacOS to run (with acceleration) on an AMD Radeon RX 590 GME. I've tried everything, spoofing does not work, and vbios flashing does kind-of work, but, I cant boot into MacOS. Yesterday, I installed Catalina, It was saying "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0" and it wouldn't boot into the user setup thing. So, I flashed my vbios to one of an RX 580 and now it's just a large white box in the left corner of a grey screen, and I don't know what to do.

I flashed my vbios to one of an RX 580 and now it's just a large white box in the left corner of a grey screen, and I don't know what to do.
Flash it back to an RX580 if you are able, otherwise you have probably bricked it.

Flash it back to an RX580 if you are able, otherwise you have probably bricked it.
I am able to flash it back to my factory vbios, but I still won't be able to boot macos.

The RX 590 GME uses the following device-id: 0x6FDF.

The RX480/580 uses the following device-id: 0x67DF.

Logically I would say you need to use a fake device-id for your RX590 GME, so it is recognised as a natively supported RX580.

You shouldn't need any other 'fixes' for the card to work in macOS.

I have attached a copy of an OC EFI that I use on my FX 8350/Sabertooth FX990/RX580 AMD system.
  1. The iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS data I used has been deleted from the config.plist, you need to add your own.
  2. It uses the older AMD Kernel Patches, but that shouldn't matter on this old system, unless you want to install Ventura.
  3. The UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries are set for running macOS Catalina.

Attachments

• FX-EFI.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 191

Logically I would say you need to use a fake device-id for your RX590 GME, so it is recognised as a natively supported RX580.

I have attached a copy of an OC EFI that I use on my FX 8350/Sabertooth FX990/RX580 AMD system.
  1. The iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS data I used has been deleted from the config.plist, you need to add your own.
  2. It uses the older AMD Kernel Patches, but that shouldn't matter on this old system, unless you want to install Ventura.
  3. The UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries are set for running macOS Catalina.
thanks, ill give it a try

I've used your config, and changed the device-id. I'm able to boot into MacOS Catalina. But, there is no GPU acceleration.

Well two out of three isn’t too shabby! No idea why graphics acceleration isn’t functional.

Well two out of three isn’t too shabby! No idea why graphics acceleration isn’t functional.
I was told I had to convert my device id into a 32 bit little endian value, so I did, I'm not sure if that was correct though.

1685470421630.png

I have a same problem with my RX590 and Ventura. Please excuse my stupid question but what file I should edit to replace a device-id?

Back