Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

What’s the current o status of getting gpu temps of the navi cards? Still no go with virtualsmc right? Haven’t really been looking into this since my upgrade. But after flashing my vbios and using a generated powerplay table, it would be lovely to track temps.

After getting constant DumpGPURestart freezes with my Radeon VII and no solution in sight, I decided to sell it. I now have a Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, which I read was compatible with 10.15.6, however I am having no luck. I have read about a number of solutions on this forum and none of them have worked properly for me.

With WEG and the agdpmod=pikera boot flag, I boot to a black screen on my primary monitor only, all others show no input.
With no WEG, my screens go black during the verbose boot, then 10 seconds later two of my four monitors comes on, which are connected to a HDMI and DP port respectively. My other two DP monitors are not detected.

Does anyone have similar issues, or perhaps someone can guide me with this? I am using OpenCore and SMBIOS iMac19,1.

Probably going to need your EFI buddy (just the config is fine). It technically works OOB if you apply a simple patch. Running 19,1 isn't ideal, iMacPro1,1 is a far far better smbios to run. You will see much better performance and stability. You even get proper power management for your CPU which isn't a huge deal but still. You need to run CPUfriend if you're on 19,1 or 7,1 (MacPro).

If you do move smbios', make sure to disable your iGPU. You'll need an extra reboot afterwards to go back in and set up the dGPU parameters. Also resetting the NVRAM is a must, but you may also want to take this opportunity reset your CMOS. Garbage in there can interfere with a hardware change. Moreover, follow this guide to clear out any cruft left over from the smbios transition: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-clear-multiple-configuration-identities-in-macos.256316/

All you need is the latest Lilu and WEG and it should work. I'm running the exact same card without issue.

Thank you @LordHumungus, I have tried this to no avail. Back to original issue of primary monitor showing black screen, and all others disconnected. The NVRAM reset also hosed my EFI boot list, so I can no longer boot into Linux either.

Looks like I have a long night ahead trying to recover this now.

Probably going to need your EFI buddy (just the config is fine). It technically works OOB if you apply a simple patch. Running 19,1 isn't ideal, iMacPro1,1 is a far far better smbios to run. You will see much better performance and stability. You even get proper power management for your CPU which isn't a huge deal but still. You need to run CPUfriend if you're on 19,1 or 7,1 (MacPro).

If you do move smbios', make sure to disable your iGPU. You'll need an extra reboot afterwards to go back in and set up the dGPU parameters. Also resetting the NVRAM is a must, but you may also want to take this opportunity reset your CMOS. Garbage in there can interfere with a hardware change. Moreover, follow this guide to clear out any cruft left over from the smbios transition: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-clear-multiple-configuration-identities-in-macos.256316/

All you need is the latest Lilu and WEG and it should work. I'm running the exact same card without issue.

Can you explain why 1,1 is better than 19,1 for coffeelake or kabylake for performance and stability? I have been using 19,1 for a while with my 9900k but never could get DRM to work with my 5700xt no matter what boot aghs I tried. 1,1 enabled DRM but I thought it would not be as compatible since imac use a different intel cpu architecture as well as T2 chip

Can you explain why 1,1 is better than 19,1 for coffeelake or kabylake for performance and stability? I have been using 19,1 for a while with my 9900k but never could get DRM to work with my 5700xt no matter what boot aghs I tried. 1,1 enabled DRM but I thought it would not be as compatible since imac use a different intel cpu architecture as well as T2 chip
You lose Sidecar in 1,1 and 7,1. But from all my testing and others has shown them to be far superior in both raw GPU performance and general system “snappiness.”

It runs counter to the general consensus which is to select an SMBIOS that is the most similar with your hardware (iMac’s ship with i9s not Xeons). The T2 will limit some of the functionality (i.e., Sidecar) but will fix other things. DRM is a struggle in 19,1 for example. You can get some services going but not all. Rendering issues, which can be seen when you encode a clip using QuickTime plague 19,1.

I think knowing exactly why goes above my pay grade. There are always trade offs but for speed and interoperability, nothing seems to beat a dedicated dGPU without the iGPU (which is why you lose Sidecar). Moreover, 1,1 provides proper power management where 19,1 and strangely 7,1 do not. You’ll need CPU friend to achieve that (I mean if you care, it’s ok not to have it, you’ll just be running your system at ~1.9GHz instead of 900MHz). You can get a better glimpse using Intel’s power gadget: https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-power-gadget.html

kUSBSleepPowerSupply and kUSBWakePowerSupply are 5100 on MacPro7,1.

Fenvi T919 works but the quality of the signal and general performance are about half of a real Apple product so while yes it works OOB, the card's quality is pretty lacklustre. Don't expect it to work as well as a real Broadcom chip.

Huh? I have not noticed this! I wander the house with my beats headphones just I do with my Mac. I suspect the real issue is that a real Mac buries the antennas in the case, but up where they are useful. Where typically people shove their case back against a wall or even under the desk and the metal case is blocking the signals. In fact, I did have this issue and solved it by using extensions and putting antennas on the top and front of the case between the plastic skin and metal casing.

Huh? I have not noticed this! I wander the house with my beats headphones just I do with my Mac. I suspect the real issue is that a real Mac buries the antennas in the case, but up where they are useful. Where typically people shove their case back against a wall or even under the desk and the metal case is blocking the signals. In fact, I did have this issue and solved it by using extensions and putting antennas on the top and front of the case between the plastic skin and metal casing.
Ok? Not sure what value your "data" is. We have no measure of distance. We have no measure of impedance or attenuation. Just you wander the house with your beats. You are aware headphones are probably the worst hardware to test BT strength and reliability as they tend to have quite large buffers, allowing music to play well after the signal is lost. That buffer also hides a lot of the drops and signal oscillations.

I'm done here. This has NOTHING to do with GPUs are is horribly off topic 5 posts ago. I don't care what you use. But from all my testing, the Fenvi is a Honda and I need a Ferrari. If you're fine with the Honda, great, but don't walk around claiming the Honda is just as fast or even in the same league because you're happy with it.

Back