Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

Hopefully there will be some iMacs with this card later this year then some initial drivers should arrive. Most people want to wait for cards with axial fans as these blower cards are too loud under pressure.

Let’s hope so, they did remove the HW5700, but left HW5000-5400? So it looks like they are internally testing Navi.
It would make a great eGPU device as it has lower power consumption.

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time before drivers for these cards appear. The price:performance is too good for Apple to ignore and the lower heat/power consumption should make them ideal for iMacs.

Let’s hope so, they did remove the HW5700, but left HW5000-5400?

Considering the huge cartel ATI/Apple Axis drama over the last year this is beyond ridiculous

nice video about undervolting, noises, etc

Regarding undervolting: Do you know whether the values you set with this fancy AMD Windows software are written to the card and stay active in macOS. Or is it just reprogrammed every time by the windows driver?

Regarding undervolting: Do you know whether the values you set with this fancy AMD Windows software are written to the card and stay active in macOS. Or is it just reprogrammed every time by the windows driver?

No, it’s windows only. If you over do the settings and it crashes, it resets to stock auto settings. I’ve seen the videos by Gamers Nexus and Steve always has problems with AMD overclocks. My Radeon VII held decent clocks and he complained about stability. Same with Jays2cents. Nothing fancy just WattMan.

Let’s hope so, they did remove the HW5700, but left HW5000-5400? So it looks like they are internally testing Navi.
It would make a great eGPU device as it has lower power consumption.

Please let us know if/when you make progress with the 5700 XT, I am waiting for mine to arrive in the next two days and would be upgrading from the RX 580. Fingers crossed we find a some drivers in the next couple of months.

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time before drivers for these cards appear. The price:performance is too good for Apple to ignore and the lower heat/power consumption should make them ideal for iMacs.

Only likely if Apple's refresh drops the 8th gen default to 9th gen. 9900k is still the best Intel is going to give them either way until Ice Lake, so the top end config will still be the same CPU. Apple only recently refreshed the iMac in March, so, look more towards late 2019 if another refresh is going to happen at all. I would think the 5700/XT support more likely to come from the eGPU or Mac Pro products than a refreshed iMac.

It seems 5700/XT release was rushed on driver side, with Anandtech reporting OpenCL issues, which may mirror the macOS betas.

Only likely if Apple's refresh drops the 8th gen default to 9th gen. 9900k is still the best intel is going to give them either way until Ice Lake, so the top end config will still be the same CPU. Apple only recently refreshed the iMac in March, so, look more towards late 2019 if another refresh is going to happen at all. I would think the 5700/XT support more likely to come from the eGPU or Mac Pro products than a refreshed iMac.

It seems 5700/XT release was rushed on driver side, with Anandtech reporting OpenCL issues, which may mirror the macOS betas.

Yes, they are splitting the CU cores (like hyper threading). Luxmark and Geekbench (openCl) shows 20 CUs, but AMD claims its 40 CUs.
We need to watch for AMDRadeonX6000kext, and possibly a new AMDRadeon12000Controllerkext?

Another review. If you haven't considered AMD's new GPUs... you should...

Last edited:
5700 xt overclocking test with ekwb waterblock;

Back