Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

Hi,

I recently bought a 5700XT and installed it in my son’s Hackintosh (Asrock Z87e-ITX motherboard). It was running Catalina with a GTX 780. I was getting a black screen on start up and despite adding agdpmod=pikera and new Lilu and WEG Kexts. After a lot of experimentation, the solution was to put the agdpmod=pikera first position in the boot argument entry of the config file. Before, it was in either middle or end position in the non-working configuration.

i hope this helps some people in getting their 5700XT working with Catalina.

Cheers,

Donald

Good afternoon! Tell me.. after installing 5500 XT, the sound in the EMU 0404 audio card disappeared: when starting a track on iTunes, the Play button does not work. Added ATI HDMI audio, which was not previously available. What can I do or how can I disable HDMI audio?

@shampoo, @iDrakus, @slim.jim and others here,

I'm trying to decide whether to get a 5700 XT for a new system. What do we think? These reports of freezes followed by a watchdog reset don't sound good. The fact that it's affecting real Macs with EGPUs at least makes me think that Apple might fix it.

Unfortunately, a Radeon VII is out of budget for this one.

Hello all...
Looking for some info as well regarding the 5700xt. Had a Radeon VII that fail and temporary replace by radeon 64. On hack with MacOS 10.15.4 how is the behavior? any info regarding the Red Devil 5700XT?
Thanks

I'm trying to decide whether to get a 5700 XT for a new system. What do we think? These reports of freezes followed by a watchdog reset don't sound good. The fact that it's affecting real Macs with EGPUs at least makes me think that Apple might fix it.

I don't have any hangs on the 5700 XT only when using SMBIOS iMac Pro 1.1. If I use imac 17.1, my picture periodically freezes.

However, the user @ArthurianX on the 5700 XT when using such SMBIOS they have.

I think that VEGA 64 will be more stable now on macOS.

You need to see what will happen on macOS 10.15.5. The final version should be released the other day.

Yeah I'll hang tight a little bit to hear if there're any changes in 10.15.5. Otherwise the Vega 64 seems fine- the difference in performance is pretty slight, I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi,

I recently bought a 5700XT and installed it in my son’s Hackintosh (Asrock Z87e-ITX motherboard). It was running Catalina with a GTX 780. I was getting a black screen on start up and despite adding agdpmod=pikera and new Lilu and WEG Kexts. After a lot of experimentation, the solution was to put the agdpmod=pikera first position in the boot argument entry of the config file. Before, it was in either middle or end position in the non-working configuration.

i hope this helps some people in getting their 5700XT working with Catalina.

Cheers,

Donald
I solved the issue with the black screen on the 5500 XT in two ways: first - I bought a DP-HDMI adapter and plugged it into the first DP port, which by default starts in the system (hence the black screen). The second method that I used before is to pull the cable out of the video card (from the video card, not the monitor) from the HDMI port and plug it back in

If you want a budget GPU that's rock solid and kicks out decent performance for the price, grab a 580

My suggestion is to wait.. Or get a 580. That's what I did. Two weeks now, not a single fault.

Back