Contribute
Register

AMD/Nvidia Primary Display with AirPlay Mirroring

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD/Nvidia Primary Display with AirPlay Mirroring on Mavericks

I was intending it as a theoretical question.. How do they do it on the Mac Pro 2013? It must run on the D700s, on those machines. Maybe with your knowledge we can get this further..

Then, we should be able to run it on machines that uses the D700 drivers, somehow.. In theory, Intels HD graphics should not be required if the D700 driver is used. I think it is a matter of some minor configuration, getting the AirPlay icon is a step forward, as I have no Intel GFX.

It enables the icon as it notices the "D700 units" are there, but something breaks within it when enabling it. Maybe due to wrong frame buffer... It cannot "find" the frame buffer at expected location, or something alike. Address/location issue. Peculiar.

One thought. I did not try yet setting the MacPro6,1 def, AND enable the MaguroS (tuna in Japanese.. haha) personality (as used by Mac Pro with D700s). Maybe the combination makes it work.

How do they do it on the Mac Pro 2013? It must run on the D700s, on those machines.
Airplay Mirroring is Apple's implementation of Intel Quick Sync Video (Google search for more information). It is implemented in the CPU. Your CPU does not support Quick Sync. AMD does not provide any similar capability. No possibility for AirPlay Mirroring on your system.

Airplay Mirroring is Apple's implementation of Intel Quick Sync Video (Google search for more information). It is implemented in the CPU. Your CPU does not support Quick Sync. AMD does not provide any similar capability. No possibility for AirPlay Mirroring on your system.

A check of the Intel specs for the Mac Pro XEONs (Intel ARK) tells me they don't incorporate Quick Sync Video. It is part of the graphics part that the workstation/server CPUs don't have. It follows that it has to be implemented otherwise, on the CPU or GPU (OpenCL, for instance), which I think the Apple engineers are very capable of.. Or, AMD could have provided them with efficient codecs suitable for the Tahiti chips. It could be they implement it on the CPU using some new instructions. But, they don't use Quick Sync Video.
Quick Sync Video is a consumer feature. They would not waste die-space and transistors incorporating it on the XEON E5s (for workstations/servers). AirPlay Display (at least in the most recent incarnation) must be engineered to leverage different technologies underneath, it be Quick Sync Video or some other hardware/implementation. As it works on Mac Pro 2013. On your hardware, it would utilize Quick Sync Video.
The fact that I get the icon, tells me that something is partly working, but it breaks at some point.

I was not successful. Did everything as written in the thread but there is no result. HD4000 in the system is not seen, AirPlay Mirroring not working

Clover bootloader
Discrete graphics card - GTX 660
Integrated graphics - HD4000
ig-platform-id: 0x01620007
SMBIOS iMac13,2
NO DSDT
Connected to Nvidia graphics card

Bios Settings:
Internal Graphics - Enabled
Init Display First: PEG (Sets the PCI Express graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display)
Internal Graphics Memory Size - 64M

Attachments

• SSDT.aml.zip
    975 bytes · Views: 80
  • config.plist.zip
    5 KB · Views: 86
  • debug.log.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 78

Did everything as written in the thread but there is no result
Problem Reporting; missed Item 4, the most important. Likely missed something else written.

Problem Reporting; missed Item 4, the most important. Likely missed something else written.
Motherboard GA-Z77-DS3H (rev1.1, BIOS F8), OS X 10.9.2, Intel Core i5-3570K
Attached the IOReg and photo of my BIOS

Attachments

• iMac-Alexander.zip
    435.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 161

Attached the IOReg
No dsdt? Clover/2 dozen patches. Set config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Debug/YES and restart
Reply with EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin/dsdts and screenshots of System Preferences/Displays and System Preferences/Sound/Output

No dsdt? Clover/2 dozen patches. Set config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Debug/YES and restart
Reply with EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin/dsdts and screenshots of System Preferences/Displays and System Preferences/Sound/Output

dsdts and screenshots

Attachments

• DSDT-or.aml.zip
    15.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSDT-pa0.aml.zip
    15.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 21.55.59.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 21.55.59.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 21.56.17.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 21.56.17.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 182