GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (bios F5b)
CPU
Core i7 6700K
Graphics
Radeon RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello.

Long story short: Had a working SL system set up with the help of Andy Boot CD 4. Wanted to upgrade to Lion. Cloned drive before upgrade. Upgraded to Lion on 1st drive, but upgrade failed, and drive no longer boots (it only boots up to Chameleon, then computer reboots infinitely). Backed up SL drive worked and booted perfectly if selected in Chameleon from first drive, but did not have Chameleon installed in itself (I guess drive-cloning software do not copy bootloaders). I went ahead and installed Chameleon from Andy Boot CD 5. Drive now has Chameleon installed, and everything works right EXCEPT for my graphics card. I guess now the OS does not recognize it. My card is a AMD Radeon XFX HD-6870, but system profiler shows:

Code:
[b]Display:[/b]

Type:	GPU
  Bus:	PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:	x16
  VRAM (Total):	3 MB
  Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:	0x6738
  Revision ID:	0x0000
  Kernel Extension Info:	No Kext Loaded
  Displays:
Display:
  Resolution:	1024 x 768
  Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes

I guess it might have been a mistake installing Chameleon from Andy Boot Cd, because it probably messed up my graphics' kexts, but I did not know better. Anyway, my Boot.plist used to look like this:

Code:
 <key>AtiConfig</key>
	<string>Duckweed</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>arch=x86_64</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>

Now it looks like this:

Code:
<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>

If I change it to how it was before, booting never gets passed the Apple logo (legacy logo?) as the little wheel keeps turns indefinitely.

Things I've tried so far:
1.- Changing the Boot.plist to how it was before (see above) - failed
2.- Changing just the GraphicsEnabler to yes - booting never gets passed the Apple logo.
3.- Installing the original ATI 1.6.32.12 Drivers from an old MultiBeast (v.3.6.0) I used to set up SL in the fist place- failed as I get "installation failed" error.
4.- Copying the kexts from Andy's ATI fix package's contents to /System/Library/Extensions - seem not do anything.

Does anybody know what else I can try, or how I can fix this issue? Are there new kexts for AMD Radeon 68XX series? If so, where can I get them, and how do I install them?

Thanks in advance. I hope you can understand the frustration of not being able to finish the work projects I had to put in standby because of this situation.

PS.- Forgot to mention I have OS 10.6.8.

Update:

So I've been playing around with the Boot.plist, the Kext Utility, and some ATI kexts I've downloaded for the web. The scenario in my previous post was that I could log into Snow Leopard, but the graphics card would no be recognized, and therefore the resolution for the display was very low. After fixing permissions with Kext Utility, I've managed to pass the Legacy Logo booting screen with my Boot.plist configured the way it was (GraphicsEnabler=Yes), but when I'm supposed to see to log in screen, I only see a white screen with the mouse pointer. Here resolution seems to be at full, but again, I only get this white screen and nothing more.

I'm starting to think that my problem is kext based. I either have conflicting kexts, or I have too many kexts. If this is the case, I want to try booting with the least amount of kexts required to boot Snow Leopard.

This may be a stupid request, but can anyone here give me a list of the basic kexts I need in Sys/Lib/Ext to boot to a functional Snow Leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back