Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There's a Prime Day deal on the WD_BLACK 2TB SN850 NVMe SSD. It's only $180.49, which is cheaper than the SN770 right now.

1657635060645.png

Update: The deal on the heatsink version is sold out. The version with a heatsink is also only $197.59.

1657635302417.png

Last edited:
The version with a heatsink on bestbuy was 138, but oos very fast.

Looks like the best deal on Amazon is the 2TB SN850 without the heatsink. $180.49.

Version with a heatsink has long since sold out at the $197 price.

These can get hot when you're moving a lot of data. The Samsung 980 Pro can be used for storage or a scratch drive, just don't use it with Monterey as your boot drive. Trim problems have not been resolved.

Screen Shot 15.jpg

Compare the $180 price for a 2TB SN850 to the cost of a 2TB NVMe upgrade of the new M2 MBA.
Screen Shot 16.jpg

$420 less for about the same or maybe even better performance. Depends on whether your motherboard supports PCIe 4.0 data throughput speeds.

$420 can buy you a lot of software or upgrades of other hardware in your hackintosh. Apple can really increase it's profit margins by selling their ram and SSD upgrades at these markups from wholesale prices. IDK what they pay for a 2TB NVMe but it has to be much cheaper than the retail price of an SN850 2TB that we can buy on Amazon.

Last edited:
Looks like the best deal on Amazon is the 2TB SN850 without the heatsink. $180.49.

Version with a heatsink has long since sold out at the $197 price.

These can get hot when you're moving a lot of data. The Samsung 980 Pro can be used for storage or a scratch drive, just don't use it with Monterey as your boot drive. Trim problems have not been resolved.
I got the SN850 without a heatsink to use a boot drive because my motherboard has an M.2 heatsink, so hopefully, it won't get too hot.

Compare the $180 price for a 2TB SN850 to the cost of a 2TB NVMe upgrade of the new M2 MBA.

$420 less for about the same or maybe even better performance. Depends on whether your motherboard supports PCIe 4.0 data throughput speeds.

$420 can buy you a lot of software or upgrades of other hardware in your hackintosh. Apple can really increase it's profit margins by selling their ram and SSD upgrades at these markups from wholesale prices. IDK what they pay for a 2TB NVMe but it has to be much cheaper than the retail price of an SN850 2TB that we can buy on Amazon.
Apple's prices for storage upgrades are absurdly inflated.

I use a pair of the SN570 500GB drives in my two main systems, Windows 11 on one and macOS Monterey/Big Sur on the other. They work plenty fast and seem to be reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back