Contribute
Register

Aluminum keyboard media keys in Leopard (PPC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Pro 2006
CPU
2x Xeon dual core
Graphics
Radeon HD5770
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I have one of Apple's shiny new wired aluminum keyboards and want to use it with Leopard on a G5 tower, but the system does not recognise the keyboard's media key arrangement, and no keyboard software update I've found seems to affect this. Volume and other media controls just don't work.

I'm wondering if the keyboard driver from Snow Leopard would work. I'm afraid the needed kext likely Intel-only, though, which makes me wonder whether source code for it was ever released by Apple.

I have tried without success to remap the keys - the stupid system preferences pane for this seems completely unwilling to allow remapping of the media functions. Maddening! :banghead: Any thoughts? Thanks!

eelhead said:
Are all firmware drivers updated in both?

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

I believe all keyboard firmware updates available are for wireless keyboards, whereas mine is the wired model. As for the Mac itself, it's already at firmware version 5.2.7f1 (it's one of the last models they came out with, the quad core G5) and I don't see any updates for it at the site either.

It seems to be down to kext support, and Apple isn't bothering to offer an official solution to get this particular keyboard running in Leopard.

sorry but this website is 10.6 and up cant help you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back