Contribute
Register

Alternate Install Options (sans mac computer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I do not have access to an unrestricted Mac computer that will allow me to purchase OS X, format my thumb-drive, and make a bootable install drive. The networked Macs at the university I go to do not have the AppStore and thus I can't purchase the OS.

I need solution to complete my build. I know of a few possibilities:
  • 1. pay $69 for the Mac OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive
    2. pay $29 for the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, install with that, then upgrade to OS X Lion for an additional $30
    3. download.cnet.com lets you download "OS X Lion", a 1.3GB file with the name MacOSXUpdCombo10.7.3.dmg (but im not really sure what that's all about)

The problem is that I'm a poor college student and it seems silly to pay at least double the price of the downloadable Lion OS... there must be another method of doing this! Could anyone help me out with a few suggestions/recommendations? Much appreciation!

Number two sounds reasonably simple.

jester969 said:
Number two sounds reasonably simple.

right, I guess what I'm asking is are there any other methods that I can use (that I haven't already listed) that will only require me buying the downloadable OS X Lion install for $30...
The methods I've listed cost between $60-70, thus I am attempting to be able to do this for the $30 price

You still need a mac/hack os environment to create Unibeast.

I did not even know CNET carried/pilfered an OS X DMG file. :confused:

I am unsure on this CNET link. Is that legal?

The Lion OS is 4GB in size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back