GTX670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys..

Firstly, I just want to say a massive thanks to Tony and the rest of the gang on this great site. I setup my first OSX86 machine back when Tiger was ported to x86. I then upgraded to leopard, then snow leopard - all by using the resources from another osx86 community. It was a struggle to get everything perfect (i am a perfectionist) and the other communities make it difficult to find information.

Anyway, my well oiled machine died on the weekend.

I planned to purchase an i5 system to replace my dead machine but was worried about compatibility with OSX. I stumbled across this site/forum and managed to build up a new machine from recommendations and files (especially DSDT.aml) available here. I have a near perfect system now booting from the EFI partition.

So again - thanks to everyone.

Now to my first question... :D

I'm currently using a 9600GT video card. My OSX setup is running in 64bit mode with graphicsenabler=yes. Any oldish nVidia card i drop in works flawlessly but am hoping to get something a bit faster. I can't quite work out weather any ATI cards can be dropped in without any kext manipulation/installation. Just wondering what people's thoughts were on this.. ideally i'd love to get an up to date card (ati or nvidia) that i can just drop in and have work with graphicsenabler.

Thanks!

Have used a Palit 9800GT and just upgraded to a 260GXT in my build. Both were plug and play.

Only issue I had, was the 9800 after 10.6.2, could not get just the HDMI and DVI working without the VGA plugged in as well. If you want to use just one monitor with the 9800 GT and 10.6.4, you'd have to use VGA. Performance was unaffected.

The 260GTX I got has 2 DVI plugs, so that was not an issue; both ports work perfectly alone, or together and performance is better than the 9800 GT.

Have not used Ati's card personally but have read some people gotten them working, other have had to go through a lot of hoops to do it. The NVidia is a lot simpler. Plus better Linux support, if you ever wanted to go that route someday. ;)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back