Contribute
Register

Alienware R4 17 (Nvidia Web Drivers) Brightness Fix? (Need Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Alienware R4 17
CPU
i7-7820HK
Graphics
GTX 1070m
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've successfully gotten my laptop running smoothly with mostly everything working, but the one thing I cannot figure out is how to make it so I can change my screen brightness. I've read RehabMan's guides about fixing brightness but neither of them are for Nvidia graphics.

Does anyone have any idea how to do with with either DSDT or SSDT patching or a simple kext (or both)? I've uploaded my IOReg, output of patchmatic, and my Clover folder.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
  • R4 17.zip
    670.6 KB · Views: 65
  • RehabMan.zip
    74.8 KB · Views: 49
I've successfully gotten my laptop running smoothly with mostly everything working, but the one thing I cannot figure out is how to make it so I can change my screen brightness. I've read RehabMan's guides about fixing brightness but neither of them are for Nvidia graphics.

Does anyone have any idea how to do with with either DSDT or SSDT patching or a simple kext (or both)? I've uploaded my IOReg, output of patchmatic, and my Clover folder.

You might find some info by search/google.
One you get it working, perhaps then you can write a coherent guide for Nvidia backlight control.

Do you know a place where I can find the IORegs of Nvidia oriented MacBooks?

Use google.
Since I have no such hardware, I have no reason to search for it myself.

change appledisplay to applebacklightdisplay under ioreg

Do you know how to do this? The IOReg is just for informational data and as far as I know can't make changes to a machine. I did find my AppleDisplay in IOReg under NVDA,Display-B@1, and tried changing the name to AppleBacklightDisplay, but it switched back to AppleDisplay. Is there something you know that I don't?

Do you know how to do this? The IOReg is just for informational data and as far as I know can't make changes to a machine. I did find my AppleDisplay in IOReg under NVDA,Display-B@1, and tried changing the name to AppleBacklightDisplay, but it switched back to AppleDisplay. Is there something you know that I don't?

In order for it to change, you need to inject proper properties on the Nvidia device.
Look here for ideas:
https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/graphics/graphics_nvidia_gt520m.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back