Graphics
GTX 690
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My desktop is an Alienware Auora R4 from 2012. I have a GTX 690, an i7-3930k, a 16GB of quad channel RAM (Don't know what kind), a 500gb SSD, (Don't know what kind), and an unbranded custom Alienware motherboard.

Any way I can get a fully functioning Mountain Lion on this?

My desktop is an Alienware Auora R4 from 2012. I have a GTX 690, an i7-3930k, a 16GB of quad channel RAM (Don't know what kind), a 500gb SSD, (Don't know what kind), and an unbranded custom Alienware motherboard.

Any way I can get a fully functioning Mountain Lion on this?

GTX 690 - known to work
i7 3930k - known to work
16GB quad channel RAM - should also be fine
500GB SSD - OK
Unbranded custom alienware motherboard - unlikely even with ROM flash, custom DSDT and other fiddling, unlikely to get this running with great success.

Changing the motherboard comes at some expense but can be done the Gigabyte SKT-2011 X79S-UP5 is getting a bit thin on the ground these days although I think that there might also be an Asus model that might also work with a single CPU build.

Adrian B

Hi woot,

I posted about this here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desk...otherboard-16gb-ram-gtx-580-a.html#post630730

I think the Alienware board is a slightly modified Intel X79 board. Dunno, but either way if you use Chimera to boot the installer + a 10.8.4 disk image and use the following flags:

USBBusFix=Yes npci=0x2000 cpus=1

The installer will start right up. Once you've installed, make sure to install VoodooTSCsync and then you can just start up like normal and all 4 cores (and hyperthreading) will work fine.

The GTX 690 might or might not work with the default Nvidia driver. I think it will! My GTX660 works great!

Seriously though, the R4 makes an awesome Hackintosh. I'm still trying to figure out the Realtek ALC892 audio, but everything else INCLUDING SLEEP works so well.

Hi woot,

I posted about this here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desk...otherboard-16gb-ram-gtx-580-a.html#post630730

I think the Alienware board is a slightly modified Intel X79 board. Dunno, but either way if you use Chimera to boot the installer + a 10.8.4 disk image and use the following flags:

USBBusFix=Yes npci=0x2000 cpus=1

The installer will start right up. Once you've installed, make sure to install VoodooTSCsync and then you can just start up like normal and all 4 cores (and hyperthreading) will work fine.

The GTX 690 might or might not work with the default Nvidia driver. I think it will! My GTX660 works great!

Seriously though, the R4 makes an awesome Hackintosh. I'm still trying to figure out the Realtek ALC892 audio, but everything else INCLUDING SLEEP works so well.

I bought the Alienware R4 ALX for Christmas with a GTX560. It's been a few months since I visited here to see if it would be possible to hackintosh this beast. According to this thread, is everything working now for this setup? Including sound? If so, I'll be trying this out this week with a new SSD drive I have.

This looks promising!

So I thought I would give this a shot today.

Here is my configuration:

Alienware R4 Aurora i7 3820 (BIOS level A07)
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 560 Ti
WD Blue 1TB
Logitech wireless USB keyboard and mouse

I created a Unibeast 2.0.1 ML USB Key as well as a Chimera 1.7.0 USB Key.

I also disabled all the available CPU settings in BIOS and set only 1 active CPU core.

I booted successfully with the Unibeast 2.0.1 ML USB Key and used the following boot flags as per a previous post:

USBBusFix=Yes npci=0x2000 (also tried 0x3000) cpus=1

Using this method, the screen goes black for a few seconds and then the Apple screen appears and hangs.

I added the -v switch and I can see it reading the files off the ML USB key and then the PC reboots.

I'm at a loss here. Any thoughts or suggestions (other than finding a mobo that fits the Alienware R4 Aurora case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back