Contribute
Register

Alice's Pinkintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to go ATI, you're better off with a 6870. Otherwise, I'd go with a NVIDIA GPU as it looks like ATI is down for the count when it comes to Macs.

well i haven't chose any video cards, processors or motherboards yet because its will be a slow build and im getting universal parts first. my question is would i be better off doing a onboard raid 0 and raid 10, or would i be better off investing in a sata iii raid card?

It's pretty much software RAID 0/10 rather than onboard RAID (Does that even work with OS X? It's fake-RAID, right?), or a compatible hardware RAID card. If you want RAID 5, you will have to go with the card.

Your build looks complicated for the sake of being complicated.

I would get one of the high end supported Nvidia cards, a large single SSD for the OS, 16+ GB of RAM and use something like the Pegasus R6 for storage. You can make a RAM disk to use a scratch disk to help maximize performance.

K.I.S.S. :banghead:

seams like raid wont be a option then

I was considering a RAID in my build, but for now, I just added a backup HD for each of my main HDs and use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to sychronize each main drive to its corresponding backup drive every few hours. My drives aren't truly mirrored like RAID 0, but I'm only likely to lose a couple hours of work, and I don't have have to go to the cost, complexity and sometimes finickiness of a RAID solution. I also plan to start using off-site backup via CrashPlan.

I may put in a RAID 5 at some point, but so far I'm happy with my solution.

seams like raid wont be a option then

I remember reading a review of a RAID card on this site, and it works natively with ML. Also, the option I posted has a raid for storage, and you can boot off it if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back