Contribute
Register

ALC892 - Strange noises after a few minutes of sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the same issue, when updated to 10.8.5 (H77N-WiFi and ALC892). Initially, disabled the Pepper Flash plugin in Chrome and used the Adobe's version, but that wasn't enough. I think the problem is Chrome-specific, because I have no such problem in any other browser (playing the same 20 minutes clip in Youtube). I haven't tried iTunes yet, because I'm using Clementine instead, but have no such issue with VLC or any other video player.
I'm currently using Firefox as main browser, haven't run Chrome for already a week and haven't had such issue since then.

I can confirm it's a Chrome (or flash) issue, not a driver issue. Here are my reproducible steps:

1. Play song in iTunes.
2. Open Chrome to page with flash on it.
3. Wait for strange noises, then quit Chrome.
4. Audio returns back to normal immediately.

Something to try:

1. Install the system chrome plugin from Adobe.com. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
2. Open chrome, and navigate to chrome:\\plugins
3. Expand details -- the control is in the upper right of the page
4. Find the flash plugin listed: there should be two plugins listed. Disable the one that mentions chrome in the path.

A while ago, I was having a problem where I could hear static whenever audio was played regardless if I used headphones or speakers.

The static sound is not a hardware issue. It comes from the internet browser Google Chrome. The issue is that the computer is using the integrated flash plug-in that comes with Chrome rather than using an actual Flash Player from the computer.

To fix this (if this is occuring in Chrome), this is what I have done:
1) Open Chrome and type "chrome://plugins/" without the quotation marks into the address bar
2) Disable the Adobe Flash Player
3) Download Adobe Flash Player for Google Chrome (Mac version)

This should fix the problem, as the Flash player is part of the computer and not of the browser.
I have contacted Applecare to tell them about this issue and solution with developers to see if there can be a fix for integrated Flash plug-ins.

I hope that this solves the problem for those having the static audio issue!
Cheers!

Something to try:

1. Install the system chrome plugin from Adobe.com. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
2. Open chrome, and navigate to chrome:\\plugins
3. Expand details -- the control is in the upper right of the page
4. Find the flash plugin listed: there should be two plugins listed. Disable the one that mentions chrome in the path.

Not to bump an old thread, but just ran into this problem for the first time after installing Mav 9.2, never had it with any version of ML. But yeah, this fix seems to work completely for Mavericks for the ALC892, thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back