5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
  7. Quadra
  8. SE
  9. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

I've gotten my sound working using the codec included in the latest Multibeast. I then went through the Audio MIDI Setup guide to arrive at two devices (one aggregate, one multi-output, more on that later).

I have 5.1 speakers with 3 wires connected to the three outputs on the main board.

Here's the screenshot of the Audio MIDI Setup.

audio.jpg

I then fire up iTunes or VLC (both produce the same result) and play music, then switch devices. The result:

With Aggregate: only the front right/left play. The others have very quiet static.
With Multi-Output: All speakers and sub play, but this should just duplicate the same signal across all outputs (as far as I know?).

So from the perspective of listening to music, Multi-Output produces the better result, however, it's not really surround.

The Audio ID in Clover is set to 1.

Is that all correct? My understanding from reading the guides is that Aggregate should give me the best result, but it doesn't. Is there something that I've done wrong that needs to be fixed? Thanks!

It is simple: Stereo in produces Stereo out, 5.1 in produces 5.1 out. Aggregate Device does not produce sound on channels with no sound, Multi-Output Device puts Stereo on all speakers.

See Post #1, Surround Sound Realtek ALC AppleHDA

Well, sure, but if I'm playing media that should contain 5.1 information (such as a dvd rip) using a program that supports it (VLC), then I should get 5.1 out, correct? I do not. It still plays only over two speakers using the Aggregate device.

Did you see link in Post #2?
Verify the rip is 5.1, MediaInfo
Set up VLC as noted.
Select the 5.1 audio track.

It is:

media.jpg

VLC shows the audio as: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52 ), Channels: 3F2R/LFE

In VLC, I set: Audio/Audio Device/Aggregate Device
Also: Audio/Audio Track has only two options: Disable or Track 1. Track 1 is selected.

Still only two speakers playing. :(

Did you Audio MIDI Setup/Devices/Aggregate Device/Configure Speakers?

Yes, and I tested each in this window and sound comes from each appropriately.

MIDI setup.jpg

Try the other solutions. Post #2, link.

I assume you mean this?

https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALC...d Sound - Realtek ALC - AppleHDA [Guide].pdf

The options I see there are:

Recommendations/C/1/c: my VLC is 2.2.1
Installation/C/a: this is what I already did, Multibeast version 8.0.1
IV/A: is what I already did.

If there's nothing else to try, I'll just live without surround sound, that's fine. I was hoping to get 5.1 output working, but if it's not possible, oh well.

I'm also happy to provide any other output or screenshots if it's helpful.

assume you mean this?
No, the thread linked in Post #2. VLC is not a good OS X choice, try Plex or Kodi (XBMC).
5.1 analog works as expected on my systems; do not know what you are doing wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back