Contribute
Register

ALC888/888B/889 step by step install instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thelostswede, could you explain how you added the LegacyHDA.kext only after using MultiBeast? For my UD4, Everything seems to work except audio (through spdif) when I installed using MultiBeast.
Should I install MultiBeast normally (with or without audio?) and then just add the LegacyHDA-kext to System disk/Extra/Extensions and drag it to Kext Utility?

You got it in one, don't bother installing the audio and do as you said, reboot and it should be working. Just maker sure you use the right file for the amount of audio jacks you have on your board. In your case most like the 4ins2outs with HDA (as long as the front audio connectors on the front of the case using the HDA type connector).

Thanks.
I tried adding the 888 4outs2ins HDA LegacyHDA.kext but it did not help. I haven't tried analog outputs, but System Preference shows no audio outputs at all. System profiler shows:
Intel High Definition Audio:
Device ID: 0x1458A002
Audio ID: 0

Another thing - I've had sound support in both 10.6 and 10.6.2 before adding MultiBeast. Same thing with ethernet.

I tried adding the 888 4outs2ins HDA LegacyHDA.kext but it did not work.

In fact, under Hardware / Audio (Built In)
it shows that there is no built-in audio

Try installing HDAenabler, as it's possible that the DSDT for that board haven't been updated with the audio codec information.

Also, if you don't have the front audio on the case wired up using an HDA type cable, then you should use the other file.

When I try to install the HDAenabler.kext with Kexthelper 7b I keep getting the message 'failed to login as root', while I don't have a password on anything...

Can I just copy the HDAenabler.kext to System/Library/Extensions and run Multibeast to repair permissions/ rebuild caches and continue from there?

You can't install OS X without a password, you're going to have to re-install mate, or you won't be able to install any software at all, as you'll always be asked for a password and leaving the box blank causes all sort of problems. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...

So I noticed. But I just manually pasted the HDAenabler, ran Multibeast to repair/ rebuild, then copied the layout, ran Multibeast and rebooted. I have sound now. /flex ;)

I hope the passwordproblem won't cause anything I can't solve though... This worries me.

To update your password, go to System Preferences/Accounts. Having a blank password is not good. Just use 1 or something. I know Kext Helper b7 doesn't recognize blank passwords- could cause other issues as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back