Contribute
Register

AirPort Extreme Time Capsule + USB WiFi Adapter ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks
CPU
Intel Core i7-3517U
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Quick question guys,

would it work?

AirPort Extreme Time Capsule (2TB exactly) would it work with Hackintosh laptop using USB WiFi Adapter in one of its USB ports? This WiFi solution have no Airport support in OS X, using Realtek's Wireless Network Utility. I don't know if it's important for Time Machine backups and if it's possible to configure Time Capsule with this system too? (same way like if it was OSX Airport supported internal WiFi Adapter)

Thanks for advice, have great day, bye..

Quick question guys,

would it work?

AirPort Extreme Time Capsule (2TB exactly) would it work with Hackintosh laptop using USB WiFi Adapter in one of its USB ports? This WiFi solution have no Airport support in OS X, using Realtek's Wireless Network Utility. I don't know if it's important for Time Machine backups and if it's possible to configure Time Capsule with this system too? (same way like if it was OSX Airport supported internal WiFi Adapter)

Thanks for advice, have great day, bye..

If you already have one of Apple's overpriced NAS devices (the AirPort Extreme Time Capsule), give it a try. Off-hand I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work. Restoring from a TM backup via USB WiFi might be challenging due to the lack of drivers in the installer (eg. bare metal restore) and inability to run tools like the Wireless Network Utility.

Overpriced Apple's NAS device :) That's a good point. :)

Well, I'm just thinking about getting one for home because of its ac fast WiFi and outstanding WiFi coverage, time machine backup capabilities too. Cause we have one real macbook air at home already it would work for this for sure. I were just thinking if can use it with other non-really-apple devices for Internet access and maybe also as central file storage.

Overpriced Apple's NAS device :) That's a good point. :)

Well, I'm just thinking about getting one for home because of its ac fast WiFi and outstanding WiFi coverage, time machine backup capabilities too. Cause we have one real macbook air at home already it would work for this for sure. I were just thinking if can use it with other non-really-apple devices for Internet access and maybe also as central file storage.

Don't get me wrong, it is a neat device. And really not a huge premium when you consider it is a high-end WiFi AP/router/GigE switch+2TB HDD. But you could buy a AC wifi router+2TB external HDD for cheaper. I would not want to couple NAS storage with my router, and the storage component seems rather non-upgradeable.

But I think you're going to have an issue actually restoring a hack from within the OS X installer if all you have is USB based WiFi. And the only reason you do backups is to use the backup for recovery. Backups that cannot be used for restoration are not worth creating.

Want to confirm:

AirPort Extreme Time Capsule on Hackintosh using external USB WiFi Adapter works great.

Out of the box solution no need for any workarounds. Easily configurable over Airport Utility.

Moreover despite to what many assistants in Apple Stores are saying, I Can also confirm that it gives U wireless access to it's internal hard disk which can be used either as network file storage for anything U like. And also can configure Time Machine to use this network disk for backups. Both this features work on Time Capsule's internal HD simultaneously.

So I can only recommend this "Overpriced Apple's NAS Device" cause so far... I really like it.

If later I'll find something's wrong, I'll post right back.

Want to confirm:

AirPort Extreme Time Capsule on Hackintosh using external USB WiFi Adapter works great.

Out of the box solution no need for any workarounds.

Moreover despite to what many assistants in Apple Stores are saying, I Can also confirm that it gives U wireless access to it's internal hard disk which can be used either as network file storage for anything U like. And also can configure Time Machine to use this network disk for backups. Both this features work on Time Capsule's internal HD simultaneously.

So I can only recommend this "Overpriced Apple's NAS Device" cause so far... I really like it.

If later I'll find something's wrong, I'll post right back.

Let me know once you test the ability to do a bare-metal restore using Time Machine from the OS X installer using your USB WiFi.

Remember, backups are useless if you can't restore from them when you need to.

Let me know once you test the ability to do a bare-metal restore using Time Machine from the OS X installer using your USB WiFi.

Remember, backups are useless if you can't restore from them when you need to.

That's right, I just don't wanna try now, once I get spare SSD drive for my laptop I'll try. I wan it now more for our MacBook, which shroud be ok. And also will replace my old wifi router and will have central network file storage. For backups for my Asus Hackintosh I still keep Time Machines backups on directly connected external USB3 drive and also images from Disk Utility, I hope it should work in case of some disaster.

(Anyway for restore from Time Capsule with USB WiFi, It would take dam long time, so I'd better connect to Time Capsule over Ethernet in that case and for my USB Ethernet Adapter I have kext original from ASIX, and it works with Installer USB, I tried already).

... For backups for my Asus Hackintosh I still keep Time Machines backups on directly connected external USB3 drive and also images from Disk Utility, I hope it should work in case of some disaster.

Never "hope." A backup system should always be tested before you need it... including the process of restoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back