AirPlay not working with DRM content

Motherboard
Gigabyte B460M D3H
CPU
I7-10700
Graphics
UHD 630
Hello,

I have successfully set up a Hackintosh with Ventura (iMac 20,1) configuration which uses the internal Intel graphics. For network I have the Fenvi T919. HW acceleration, AirDrop, Continuity, Sidecar, pretty much everything works except for (obviously) DRM and AirPlay from the phone (or other device) to the Hack with DRM content (so Netflix, Prime, HBO). AirPlay with non-DRM content works as expected, as well as DRM from the browser excepting of course Safari (so Edge, Chrome, etc.). I also excluded the possibility to be something iOS related (I successfully performed AirPlay with DRM on a real Macbook).

I know that DRM requires a supported dGPU from AMD. My question is whether the AirPlay should have worked regardless or it also requires the dGPU and working DRM in the above scenario? Also, I know that fully working DRM requires disabling the iGPU and probably switching to another config. If the AirPlay issue is indeed related to non-working DRM, is there any way to maintain the currently working features and also fix DRM to the point where AirPlay with DRM will work? (I don't want to break wireless SideCar, and I don't care about non-working Safari DRM).

Thanks.

I know that DRM requires a supported dGPU from AMD
So you know the answer to your question, in that you need a compatible AMD GPU to get DRM working on your system, whether you are using AirPlay to play the file or not.

Adding a compatible AMD dGPU should not interfere with the way your system currently works, other than improving the graphics performance.

Adding a discrete GPU such as the RX6600 would not impact on Wireless or SideCar functionality, assuming the system is configured correctly.

You would need to make changes to your config.plist to accommodate the AMD dGPU, i.e. change the IGPU framebuffer to a headless one so it is not used to drive a display, and add any boot arguments necessary for a (Navi) RX5000 or RX6000 series AMD graphics card (agdpmod=pikera).

Thank you @Edhawk for the detailed explanation. Then I will just grab a supported dGPU and do the configuration as you suggested.

Back