Asus GTX 650 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey guys,

I bought a DW1510 wireless card for my OSX install and it works OOTB as expected. However, it's recognized by OSX as a 'third party wireless card'. After reading through some forums, I learned that it can have lower speeds and less functionality (like AirDrop).

I decided to rebrand my wireless card so that it would be recognized as an AirPort Extreme wireless card. Thankfully, that went successful but AirDrop still doesn't show up in my Finder's preferences.

Does anyone know how I can get it to work?

Here's what's recognized by OSX:
Code:
en2:
  Card Type:	AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x87)
  Firmware Version:	Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.1)
  MAC Address:	__removed__
  Locale:	FCC
  Country Code:	US
  Supported PHY Modes:	802.11 a/b/g/n
  Supported Channels:	1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
  Wake On Wireless:	Supported

Esamu said:
http://prasys.info/2009/12/rebranding-broadcom-802-11abgn-cards-as-airport/
Did you follow that one?

Yes, I did. That's how I rebranded my worked card to an AirPort Extreme.

Please check your pci vend id in windows I think I know what is happening here.
if it is starting like this :pCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_432a then the problem is you branded it wrong you should have used 0x08E and then it should work alright with air drop at least this is what I suspect. some people have been rebranding with 0x08D which also might work I dunno you gotta experiment I won't personally know till I get my dw1510 (which is on it's way :p
terramir

terramir said:
if it is starting like this :pCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_432a then the problem is you branded it wrong you should have used 0x08E and then it should work alright with air drop at least this is what I suspect. some people have been rebranding with 0x08D which also might work I dunno you gotta experiment I won't personally know till I get my dw1510 (which is on it's way :p
terramir

No, mine is the 14E4:432b

Do you think this is my problem?

lifelike27 said:
terramir said:
terramir

No, mine is the 14E4:432b

Do you think this is my problem?
I would try to use the 0x08D and if that doesn't work try 0x08E
As for the other person's post this would kill some functionality of airdrop which makes it sort of pointless I can do network sharing without airdrop LOL.
since the dw1510 and my HP card should be the same chipset it stands to reason that they should both support PAN so Airdrop. just try flashing that again and it might just work.
Good luck
terramir

I'll try it out and let you know. Tbh, it won't be any time soon (probably December) when my semester is over.

actually I just got my DW1510 card albeit broken ootb, the black side wifi connector is torn off (the ring part) so right now connecting to my netgear N router at 73mbps but I flashed it to 0x08E and Airdrop is working fine, albeit I really dun have any other mac's currently to test it on since my main is still running snowleopard and my phone is a crappy vm670 I can't afford the iPhone :p took me about 30 minutes on the ubuntu 9.10 live with persistence pen drive :)
Anyways Just letting you know I can confirm it shows up properly now if I can just fix my kernel panics I get all the time this would work just fine, rest assured I will be getting a different wireless card in the long run next month maybe I kinda couldn't find one at the same price on e-mail then this one is getting chucked. but nevertheless can tell you that when you flash it 0x08E it show up as airport extreme and airdrop shows up in your properties. Anyway just thought you should know that it is confirmed , btw this card had a a region of 0x002 I changed that also to 0x001 and US which was blank if you live in the us you should do that to get full speed.
terramir :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back