Graphics
EVGA GTX670FTW
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have been having a hell of a time getting airplay to work, system specs as follow

Gigabyte Z77 DS3h
I5 3750k
Nividia EVGA GT670FTW
8gb g.skills ram

I have followed the instructions on the 3 page thread poll about air play, no no avail.

Init Display First - Set to Peg
System Definitions imac 12.2 ( tried mac mini 5.1 as well )

And still I cannot get the darn icon in the status bar. I can't get the settings under display in system pref either.

Is there anything else I can try? Would a fresh install help? Everything else works fine on my hack, this is one new feature I haven't tried until last night when I bought an apple tv. It seems to me its an issue getting my hack to use both the hd4000 and GTX670 simultaneously

EDIT for what its worth air play works through itunes perfectly.

I have come to a conclusion that even if I get this working, It would result in me not seeing anything on my main display until I hit the OSX wallpaper or log in screen, which would be an absolute no go for me, as I have a triple boot set up and need to be able to see my os selections. Is this true?

Okay, if I cannot get apple's air play to work, I wont really mind I suppose as I have found the ultimate work around. FWIW if anyone has any tips I would love to get air play to work because I just like everything to work, so fire away.

I had first tried AirParrot, an app, sold for 10 dollars, that you can try for free, and thought " Huh, it works, sorta, but doesn't feel right " It WAS close, I found myself walking from my monitor to the 720P lcd dynex tv thats in the bedroom with the apple tv, and back to the monitor, taking my glasses off, putting them back on, trying different movie files and factory DVD's, trying to pacify myself that this was okay, adjusting some settings, trying this trying that, just wasn't very apple like ( you know, hit a button and it works ) Plus the apple tv remote was rendered useless and pausing the video was impossible.

So I went back to my war being waged on my bios settings and I/O, and finally, found the answer.

The answer is beamer. Beamer is another paid app ( I believe its 15 dollars ) but I also think theres a free trial. This app works amazingly. Its so simple, I just wish it had a menu bar icon ( preferably a knock off of the air play icon lol ) Heres some screen shots.

Thats literally it, drag your movie to the app, drop it, and it starts playing within seconds on your apple tv. Not only that, your apple tv remote works as it should. Theres not a single setting to be found. Limited? No, it just works perfectly.

Awsome solution that will keep me from having to convert every video file I have to mp4..

Now this does not allow you to do desk top mirroring, which idk if apple air play lets you do, but air parrot does a decent enough job of this, and I have no use for that functionality really... Also beamer can be minimized and your mac used as normal, while the atv does its thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back