basic setup:

GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
i7 3770
32gb ram
2 x 240gb ssd
ax850 power supply
gtx 680 4gb
bose companion 5 sound system

so... on my old mac pro, i had these bose setup and working without a hiccup for close to 3 years. once i moved to a hackintosh, everything went to crap. i started getting this buzzing noise that would pop up every once in a while. i tried the basic troubleshooting steps: plug them into another outlet (tried multiple), move the cords away from any and all other cables (power or otherwise), replaced the usb cable, tried ferrite cores on the usb cable. nothing worked.

so i called bose... we went through the same steps over the course of a couple of weeks til they finally gave up and decided to just take care of it for me. they shipped me a new companion 5 system which showed up today. same thing.

i went through the process to dual boot windows 7 and have been running windows for a while: the problem doesnt exist there. so that tells me this is a software issue in os x.

i am at my wits end. any help would be greatly appreciated. i dont want to go back to a horribly underpowered mac pro, but this buzzing sound is enough to drive me away from my beautiful hackintosh. any ideas?

also (before its suggested)... i have tried pulling components out of the system to nothing but motherboard, cpu, memory, and power supply.

also tried other usb ports

one other thing to note: the humming (buzzing) noise is NOT happening while something is playing. and i can usually get it to stop buzzing by making a noise through the system.... even as simple as adjusting the volume up or down is enough to stop it sometimes.

just wanted to post a fix that i found on my own, although i cannot explain WHY its a fix.

usb hub.

thats it. not ALL usb hubs work... i tried a cheapo ioGear, and it still had the issue. but an equally cheap dynex (both were powered, and plugged into the same outlet, with the same usb cables) fixed it.

i have no idea why. but, it works. so im happy.

Hey there, just got the same speakers and have the same problem on the same motherboard.

Did you find any solution for this?
Also tried plugging the usb into other ports - no luck too ...

Cheers,
Seb

Which version of Bios is everybody running ?

I had a similar problem with earlier bios version, but since updating to the latest BETA version, has not been a problem.

I also always connect to the USB 3.0 port - opposite the HDMI connector (not the one beside the HDMI Connector).

Originally this was the only port that didn't provide noise !

just wanted to post a fix that i found on my own, although i cannot explain WHY its a fix.

usb hub.

thats it. not ALL usb hubs work... i tried a cheapo ioGear, and it still had the issue. but an equally cheap dynex (both were powered, and plugged into the same outlet, with the same usb cables) fixed it.

i have no idea why. but, it works. so im happy.

Great Find! I had the same problem, found a cheep USB 2.0 Hub (Inland 10-Port Powered USB Hub from Microcenter) and it did the trick! My ears thank you!

Link To USB Hub: http://www.microcenter.com/product/427840/10-Port_USB_20_Powered_Hub

I just discovered a very easy and FREE fix. I moved the control pod away from my computer and the buzzing went right away. It had to be moved about 15 inches away for it to work but now it's complete quiet. I'm so happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back