Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok so my problem i have now is when i boot osx 10.6.7 i don't have any power to my usb keyboard or mouse. And below is what has caused this to happen as previously it had been working without problems.

So i had been running osx 10.6.7 as my only operating system without problems and decided to install windows 7 to do this i created a partition using osx disk utility and rebooted and installed windows 7 to this partition. windows 7 now boots by default as the osx boot loader has been replaced there are no problems with windows 7.

now when i boot from the iboot cd to my osx partition i can get to the desktop but my usb mouse and keyboard aren't working so i can't run multibeast to try and fix my problem.

So any ideas on how to get my keyboard and mouse working?

any extra info needed just ask.

I hate to reply to old threads, but I'm having the exact same problem. And after quite a bit of googling, this is the only thing I can find on the subject. I'm sure there's something really obvious going on here, and I'm just missing it. But what could the Windows installation have done to make USB not work under Mac OS X?

For anyone that stumbles upon this thread, I thought I'd share my solution.

I have no idea why, but for some reason Windows messes with your IOUSBFamily.kext (and likely the IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext as well). It's boggling my mind, but it's happening. You basically need the IOUSBFamily Rollback included in Multibeast, but of course it's impossible to RUN Multibeast without a mouse, so here's what I did. You'll need another working computer; I had a Mac, but a Windows or Linux machine should work fine.

I went to this page at Apple and downloaded the 10.6.2 version of IOUSBFamily.kext, which is the one included in the Multibeast rollback. Head into the IOUSBFamily-385.4.1.pkg, and go to the Contents folder. In there is an archive called Archive.pax.gz. Unzip that and head into System > Library > Extensions, and grab the IOUSBFamily.kext. Throw it on a Flash drive or other USB storage device.

Plug the flash drive into your Hackintosh and boot up from the Snow Leopard installation DVD. Go to Utilities > Terminal after you choose your language. From there, you should be able to copy the kext with
Code:
cp -R "/Volumes/Flashdrive/IOUSBFamily.kext" "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions
, where
Code:
Flashdrive
is the name of your Flash drive and
Code:
Macintosh HD
is the name of your Hackintosh's hard drive (the command
Code:
diskutil list
or
Code:
ls /Volumes
can help you find out which drives are which).

Once you've done that, quit the Terminal and go to Utilities > Disk Utility. Click on your Hackintosh's drive and repair permissions. From there, you should be able to restart into OS X with full use of your mouse. At that point I'd run Multibeast and run the IOUSBFamily Rollback and System Utilities tasks. You should then be good to go.

Again, I still have no idea what Windows' presence does to this kext. My Hackintosh was working fine without the rollback up to 10.6.7, and it wasn't until I installed Windows that it had a problem--even if I reinstalled OS X after installing Windows, once I updated from 10.6.0 the USB just died. Weird :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back