Contribute
Register

After updated clover to 5126 couldn’t install Big Sur or boot Catalina!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel NUC
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Classic Mac
  1. Portable
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello guys,

I followed this guide:

At step 5: after choosing to install Big Sur i got Mach Reboot error (see attached).

also couldn’t boot to Catalina!

if I log to windows and paste my old clover 5125, system boot normally!

please advise

Attachments

• 759007B5-DD3D-411B-BEB8-0E6BA165A0DF.jpeg
    759007B5-DD3D-411B-BEB8-0E6BA165A0DF.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 288

I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to install/upgrade with Clover and gave up.
In fact simply upgrading the existing Clover EFI to 5126 and checking it by booting from a USB stick I found it recognized the Windows drive but not the existing Clover drive.
There was a time when my OCD would have forced me to run that down but as Apple moves to all iPad all the time my interest in MacOS is waning.
Having some experience wasting time creating a Ryzentosh--too much software I need will run on it-- with OpenCore it took very little time to create an Open Core 6.2 EFI for my old Skylake, including transferring serial numbers et al from the existing Clover Catalina installation. I didn't even do a "sanity check." OC recognized and booted the existing Catalina SSD and updated a clone of the existing Catalina install that was itself booted with Open Core.
Big Sur is 12gb, that takes a looooonnnngggg time to install.
I'm still not sure what Big Sur gets me compared to Catalina except nerd cred but its pretty.
So rather than beat a dead horse just move to Open Core.
A free pearl: if you use Firefox there don't seem to be any DRM problems like with Safari so you can choose to skip that particular aggravation.

Thanks bro for helping, after added Quirks, i boot to Catalina but new issue occurred! Here I stopped, many times tried screen freezes here! Mouse, keyboard .. etc !

Attachments

• 62DBE903-E07B-44C8-BF86-9C39391E5A12.jpeg
    62DBE903-E07B-44C8-BF86-9C39391E5A12.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 142
I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to install/upgrade with Clover and gave up.
In fact simply upgrading the existing Clover EFI to 5126 and checking it by booting from a USB stick I found it recognized the Windows drive but not the existing Clover drive.
There was a time when my OCD would have forced me to run that down but as Apple moves to all iPad all the time my interest in MacOS is waning.
Having some experience wasting time creating a Ryzentosh--too much software I need will run on it-- with OpenCore it took very little time to create an Open Core 6.2 EFI for my old Skylake, including transferring serial numbers et al from the existing Clover Catalina installation. I didn't even do a "sanity check." OC recognized and booted the existing Catalina SSD and updated a clone of the existing Catalina install that was itself booted with Open Core.
Big Sur is 12gb, that takes a looooonnnngggg time to install.
I'm still not sure what Big Sur gets me compared to Catalina except nerd cred but its pretty.
So rather than beat a dead horse just move to Open Core.
A free pearl: if you use Firefox there don't seem to be any DRM problems like with Safari so you can choose to skip that particular aggravation.
Believe me brother I already tried with OC on Catalina but i gave up after faced tons of issues! In case this not success i will stay on Catalina :)

thanks for sharing your opinion

Thanks bro for helping, after added Quirks, i boot to Catalina but new issue occurred! Here I stopped, many times tried screen freezes here! Mouse, keyboard .. etc !

noticed that i faced reboot freeze even for normal way !

Believe me brother I already tried with OC on Catalina but i gave up after faced tons of issues! In case this not success i will stay on Catalina :)

thanks for sharing your opinion

Did you follow through all the quirks required for Coffee Lake from the OC install guide or you just copy and paste from config plist sample?

Did you follow through all the quirks required for Coffee Lake from the OC install guide or you just copy and paste from config plist sample?
Hmmm , just copied “quirks” line and child and past it to my old config.plist :)

and I made my suggestion.
Ok brother, i made necessary changes as here (attachment)

now facing reboot freezing !
not only for installation also for normal reboot!

freezing reboot and shutdown

Attachments

• D094EE9F-4EDB-421A-B943-B87CDE411380.jpeg
    D094EE9F-4EDB-421A-B943-B87CDE411380.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back