CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SSC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I REALLY need some help guys. Had a stable High Sierra install and was waiting to try the supplemental update based on all the difficulties you guys were having. When I saw the NVIDIA web drivers had been updated I figured I was safe to give it a go. Updated clover, updated clover configurator, made sure my backup was in place, and started. The install completed and now I get an endless loading screen when I boot to my OS drive. There is no kernel panic and thus verbose mode gives me no hints.

So far I’ve tried booting with nv_disable=1, inject-nvidia false, tried physically removing the graphics card, and a number of other things.

Here’s the clincher: MY CARBON COPY BACKUP BOOT WILL NOT BOOT EITHER. NOR WILL THE RECOVERY PARTITION.

Any hope? Any suggestions?

Here’s the clincher: MY CARBON COPY BACKUP BOOT WILL NOT BOOT EITHER. NOR WILL THE RECOVERY PARTITION.
I have the same problems!
I did yours!
This is the second time I tried to update without success! The first time I was forced to restore it from a "time machine" backup, I tried 2 times because the first time the recovery was unsuccessful. The second time went well.
Now I'm stuck again like you.
Yesterday I tried to do a restore (using a usb pendrive because the recovery partition was canceled by trying to restore it) but I did not succeed, I will try again and hope that everything will return as before!
This update is really difficult and there is not a single procedure that seems to work for everyone (at least those who have a 100 m.b Series)

Last edited:
I REALLY need some help guys. Had a stable High Sierra install and was waiting to try the supplemental update based on all the difficulties you guys were having. When I saw the NVIDIA web drivers had been updated I figured I was safe to give it a go. Updated clover, updated clover configurator, made sure my backup was in place, and started. The install completed and now I get an endless loading screen when I boot to my OS drive. There is no kernel panic and thus verbose mode gives me no hints.

So far I’ve tried booting with nv_disable=1, inject-nvidia false, tried physically removing the graphics card, and a number of other things.

Any hope? Any suggestions?

OK, here's my input FWIW. I had updated to HS without problems until the supplemental update. Did all the required "things" like uninstalling nVidia Web Driver, added Toleda's audio stuff, etc. Rebooted and it worked perfectly on my primary SSD. Ran graphics, played sound, etc. But then I CCC'd my primary to my secondary SSD and when I first tried to boot on my secondary SSD, I got your problem. Actually I got your problem sometimes, an Apple Logo followed by a slashed circle sometimes, and no keyboard response sometimes. Same thing when I returned to my primary SSD!!! My Mini-ITX computer was totally bricked. Eventually I quit HS altogether and attempted to reinstall Sierra 10.12.6. That took about 2 weeks altogether, and here is what I found out:

1. I could not update Clover past the original boot version from tonymac without causing major problems. (Clover Configurator could be updated to current with no problems.)
2. The "kernelpm" patch is definitely needed in addition to the "AppleRTC" patch, or I am back in the soup again, and this is on Sierra, not High Sierra.

All my troubleshooting was done in order to get my primary computer (in signature at left) running once again in Sierra. Which it now is. My guess is that your problem stems from updating Clover beyond the version shown at the lower right-hand corner of your display when in the Clover screen. In my case that is 4173. I had updated to 4243 which was a BIG mistake. It messed with my configuration.plist and I would get a "Happy New Year" Clover screen (whenever boot would get that far) instead of my tonymacx86 Clover screen. If I had not also had my secondary computer with 2 SSDs running 10.12.6, I would still be bricked.

Last edited:
Update on the issue: while trying to follow the fix where you boot from a new USB with the High Sierra install on it, I think I didn’t wait long enough for the PSU to discharge while removing the GPU and my MOBO fried. It’s possible I may have killed it with static discharge or something else, all I know is that following standard troubleshooting procedures to narrow down hardware issues the hack tower now fails to post in every possible configuration.

It was fun while it lasted y’all

Ordered a factory refurb 2017 iMac; comparable specs and a 5k screen for just a few hundred dollars more than my build; with APPLECARE.

6700k “Golden build” used parts to appear on eBay soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back