i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

A few weeks ago I found this website and was so enthusiastic that I bought a pc based on Golden Builds Success Designare Z390
and installed successfully Mojave without any big issues, so I'm very happy so far (last Tuesday). But before I continue
to install software I want to make a backup and I would like to use Ghost for Linux, G4L. So I downloaded the .img file,
burned it to a usb stick but now I'm trying to get it started for the last couple a days and I'm getting a bit tired now ;).

I hope someone can help. First I used my old Imac to burn the image to the stick, I saw two linux picto's in Clover but
after clicking on one of the one linux picto remained and nothing happened. I had to switch the pc off. I used a windows
computer and with Rufus I burned the iso to the usb stick with partition scheme GPT, well not MBR, and then the stick
showed op in the 'bios' of nowadays UEFI of the mainboard and I selected that as first boot device. That didn't help.

Then I realised since Clover is a bootloader I had to go back to Clover. Now one Linux picto is visible but again when I select it
the screen only show the linux picto but nothing happens, Ghost for Linux doesn't start up.

I searched through the fora but after reading a lot I didn't find a solution. I did add the option Linux under GUI in Clover
but that didn't make a change.

I've tried the stick in a windows 10 computer, G4L starts up immediately.

I've added some screen pictures. I also added the stick info. Maybe someone is willing to/can help?

If this already covered in a different thread, I'm sorry, I did try to find help in the fora and beyond but was not successful.

Thank you.

Attachments

• After selecting Linux option only Linux picto no startup.JPG
    After selecting Linux option only Linux picto no startup.JPG
    820.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Clover with Linux boot option.JPG
    Clover with Linux boot option.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 85
  • Info stick with G4L on it.JPG
    Info stick with G4L on it.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 116
Have you tried using the function key to select a boot device to select your G4L USB as the boot device when you power on? You should be able to boot it directly without Clover or other boot loader.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your response, unfortunately I wasn't able sooner to respond.

You mean the F12 key to select the device for booting?

If you mean that, well that is what I've tried before and with the current stick it is seen in the bios/uefi screen
(see attachment). I've changed the boot sequence in the bios, first the usb stick then the hard disc, but after reboot
the system directly shows the clover options. Then I rebooted the system and pressed F12 and selected the usb
stick but almost immediately the same list with bootable devices comes back, so again I selected the usb stick but again the same list returns with the text please select boot device. No succes.

What I also don't understand is the empty bar at the top of the list of bootable devices and in the screen picture Boot sequence confirmed by listing in easy mode, it says windows boot manager. I don't have clue where that came from, I don't have windows on this system, I noticed that after I've tried several times to get G4L working from the usb stick

See attachments please.

Kind regards

Attachments

• After boot F12 pressed and usb sick selected.JPG
    After boot F12 pressed and usb sick selected.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 76
  • Boot option 1 changed to usb  stick.JPG
    Boot option 1 changed to usb stick.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • Boot sequence confirmed by listing in easy mode.JPG
    Boot sequence confirmed by listing in easy mode.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
  • List returns after first time usb stick was selected.JPG
    List returns after first time usb stick was selected.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
  • List returns again after second time usb stick was selected.JPG
    List returns again after second time usb stick was selected.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 93
I would try re-making the G4L USB from scratch and try again.

Hello,

Ok, can you give me advise on the best way to burn the G4L.iso to a usb stick? First I tried the method by using a terminal, then I used Rufus, the stick works in a windows 10 computer, so in the Hackintosh system there is something that the motherbord's uefi doesn't like? It does read it as a bootable stick at first, as you could see on my picture but
then it stops, I do see the LED on the stick flashing but no result.

Thanks

Hello,

Ok, can you give me advise on the best way to burn the G4L.iso to a usb stick? First I tried the method by using a terminal, then I used Rufus, the stick works in a windows 10 computer, so in the Hackintosh system there is something that the motherbord's uefi doesn't like? It does read it as a bootable stick at first, as you could see on my picture but
then it stops, I do see the LED on the stick flashing but no result.

Thanks
Are you sure G4L works with a Mac? So far as I can find it is a Windows tool.

Hi,
It's a linux application that is started from the stick and makes:

Raw – Partition Image
The raw partition image does a bit level copy of the partition copying all sectors of the partitions.

So everything including the EFI is copied.

I saw it here:

It starts at 25:13. It should be easy and for free, if you can get it working:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back