Contribute
Register

After months of work, only minor power issues remaining to solve. Please assist (Skylake - 10.11.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170XP-SLI
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GIGABYTE GTX-970 WINDFORCE G1 GAMING
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
It took me months but I now have a fully working (99%) dual boot rig with El Capitan and Windows 10 using NVME SSD.
USB 3.0, Graphics Acceleration, HDMI audio throught GTX970, NVME boot, everything fixed

Believe it or not, the most difficult part was getting audio to work without using Voodoo HDA.

3 power issues now remaining (MB: Z170XP-SLI)

1) Shutdown won't work, it will sometimes cause kernel panic, other times it shuts down, then instantly powers back up again. It is NOT Wake on Lan related, I suspect it has to do with USBXHCI. Logs don't seem to help

2) Sleeps succesfully, but after wake everything is ULTRA slow

3) Rarely, the first attempt to boot fails but the second one always succeeds. weird..

I'm not very confident of correct DSDT, SSDT configuration.

It took me months but I now have a fully working (99%) dual boot rig with El Capitan and Windows 10 using NVME SSD.
USB 3.0, Graphics Acceleration, HDMI audio throught GTX970, NVME boot, everything fixed

Believe it or not, the most difficult part was getting audio to work without using Voodoo HDA.

3 power issues now remaining (MB: Z170XP-SLI)

1) Shutdown won't work, it will sometimes cause kernel panic, other times it shuts down, then instantly powers back up again. It is NOT Wake on Lan related, I suspect it has to do with USBXHCI. Logs don't seem to help

2) Sleeps succesfully, but after wake everything is ULTRA slow

3) Rarely, the first attempt to boot fails but the second one always succeeds. weird..

I'm not very confident of correct DSDT, SSDT configuration.

Are you using NVMeGeneric.kext?

Yes, I thought it's the only way..
Rehabman just helped me out with this too and I can confirm it seems to cure one or two issues in one go not to mention I can now see my NVMe drive in system properties:

But I can also confirm that if you don't PROPERLY delete your existing NVMe kext, PROPERLY install this new kext, and PROPERLY rebuild the cache (as I did not first the time I tried) that it will give you more issues than you have now (my system wouldn't start anymore!).

Follow the readme, do exactly what it says, and you should be good to go - Rehabman for President.

Wow, thank you guys, I will give it a shot and let you know!

OMG guys I installed the new NVMe driver and all three mentioned problems are fixed!!
Thansk for so valuable info.
NVMeGeneric was failing everything!

I had to update to 10.11.5, now I am inches from 100% success, that would be using iMac 17,1 instead of MacPro 3,1 , (never made the Graphics fix to work)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back