Contribute
Register

After Effects Crashing OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
I unfortunately have still not been able to find a fix. After Effects is the only program to do this to my machine with this specific glitch, but I've also recently noticed a similar crash happens when GPU rendering for extended periods of time. My hunch is that its also a driver thing, I am planning to do a full backup soon and then try to upgrade to sierra 10.12.6.

Glatham are you on Sierra 10.12.5 currently? I also noticed you are using a very similar GPU config to me (dual 1080 ti hybrids) and am wondering if that somehow contributes to this bug
having the same issue here too! not sure why its doing this...Safari sometimes does something similar to me as well, but usually i can force quit safari and the system is fine. but with the AE issue, it causes the black blocky screen, then u have to just restart, not force restart tho, system still runs in the background , i can still switch to spotify and play and pause music, and use keyboard shortcut keys to properly shut down....its weird, definitely a graphics card problem...

having the same issue here too! not sure why its doing this...Safari sometimes does something similar to me as well, but usually i can force quit safari and the system is fine. but with the AE issue, it causes the black blocky screen, then u have to just restart, not force restart tho, system still runs in the background , i can still switch to spotify and play and pause music, and use keyboard shortcut keys to properly shut down....its weird, definitely a graphics card problem...
Also, it only does this when i hit space bar and play the timeline, previously known as RAM preview. it writes about maybe 20-40 frames, then it crashes. if I dont RAM preview, its completely fine, i can apply Warp Stabilizer VFX to the whole clip, render if out with AME (not AE because it will crash too) and its completely fine, as long as i don't playback in AE

Hi, did you ever sort this issue out?
I'm having the same problem with AE crashing and parts of the screen going black.

Hi, did you ever sort this issue out?
I'm having the same problem with AE crashing and parts of the screen going black.
Hey there! Not specifically, I don't use AE that much anymore, but recently I did some simple painting out items in a shot and the clip was about 10 minutes long, and I don't seem to have that issue anymore, but I don't recall changing anything in my build :/ sorry not that helpful

I'm having the same issue. After Effects freezes my entire machine.

I thought it might be a problem with "com.apple.preference.displays.MirrorDisplays" which shows up often in my console system.log around the time when the freezes happen, but I'm not mirroring displays. I am running 2 monitors though.

Are you guys still having this issue?

I'm having the same issue. After Effects freezes my entire machine.

I thought it might be a problem with "com.apple.preference.displays.MirrorDisplays" which shows up often in my console system.log around the time when the freezes happen, but I'm not mirroring displays. I am running 2 monitors though.

Are you guys still having this issue?
Hey! Somehow the issue has been gone for me, I was just using AE with some 3.2K Arri ProRes footage and had no problems. I don't recall what has changed, but I feel like I have upgraded my Nvidia Web Drivers a while back, and also updated to 10.12.6 and that might've been it? I'm still using the same GTX 1070

Hey! Somehow the issue has been gone for me, I was just using AE with some 3.2K Arri ProRes footage and had no problems. I don't recall what has changed, but I feel like I have upgraded my Nvidia Web Drivers a while back, and also updated to 10.12.6 and that might've been it? I'm still using the same GTX 1070

That's good news. I'm on 10.13.3 and using an older version of the Web Drivers because the newest ones had performance issues. I'll muck about with it.

That's good news. I'm on 10.13.3 and using an older version of the Web Drivers because the newest ones had performance issues. I'll muck about with it.
Keep us posted!

Absolutely the same prolem here. I can do ultimate complex renderings in Davinci Resolve or use Premiere, and so on.
But After Effects 2018 is crashing my system so hard!

I have Nvidia We Driver: 378.05.05.25f01 Can someone please tell me if this drivers are the correct ones (for my 1070ti).

Last edited:
Do yall have CUDA installed? 10.13.3?

I was using an older Nvidia Web Driver (.106) and I had freezing issues. Upgrading to the latest drivers seems to cause the same black box glitches as well as crashing/freezing in other Adobe products.

I'm going to upgrade to 10.13.4 and see if it changes anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back