EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I just updated my old hack with a GA-Z170 gaming 5, i5-6600K SkyLake chip, 16 GB kit HyperX Fury Black ram. I kept the old video card GeForce GTX 670. I created a USB stick with Unibeast, Multibeast & High Sierra full version from the App Store. After setting the BIOs (VTD disabled, other OS, XHCI enabled, Super IO disabled) I save and exit. I get to the Clover Manager window and click on the High Sierra external module. Apple logo appears with progress bar. A little over halfway thru the progress bar freezes and nothing. I've tried this over and over and I never get to the welcome window asking for my language.

I thought maybe the video card might be the problem so I pulled it and used the on-board graphics instead with the same result. Next I figured there is a problem with the boot stick. Since I had successfully loaded Sierra on another SkyLake build (GA-Z170MX, i5-6600K, Ballistic Sport 16 MG ram kit) I retrieved the boot stick with the Sierra installer still loaded on it. The BIOs were the same so I waited for the Clover window. Strangely enough, the Clover manager window did not show the Sierra external module as it did in the successful install. Instead, there was just the generic Clover manager with that Top Hat icon in place of the external Sierra module. If I click on the icon the Apple progress bar does go all the way thru but ends with a white blank page and the spinning beachball of death. If I remove the video card the Apple progress bar goes to that same critical halfway point only to stop and reboot the computer without fail every time.

I'm wondering if the problem lies with the new hardware, i.e., the motherboard or the CPU or the ram. Searched the forum for similar problems but none quite match mine. I'm on the verge of RMA-ing the motherboard. Any help would really be appreciated.

I get to the Clover Manager window and click on the High Sierra external module. Apple logo appears with progress bar. A little over halfway thru the progress bar freezes and nothing. I've tried this over and over and I never get to the welcome window asking for my language.
You should boot in verbose mode in order to discover the cause of your problem.
Post a picture of the screen when it stops (in verbose mode).

Hey Pilgrim,

I booted in verbose. I tried to take photos of the final page but the camera couldn't bring the type into focus. However, there were only two lines of type.

Tues Mar 6 02:15:47 2018 iMac.local com.apple.xpc.launchd [1] (com.apple.Window Server.653) <Warning>: Service exited with abnormal code: 1

Tues Mar 6 02:15:47 2018 iMac.local com.apple.xpc.launchd [1] (com.apple.Window Server)<notice>: Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Found another thread that suggested going to boot args and checking the USB ownership and USB injection which I did. In the Graphics line I checked Inject Intel since I removed the graphics card. When I click on the external boot device I get the progress bar that moves to nearly the end when it suddenly jumps back to the beginning of the bar and proceeds to load again. It finishes and I get the choose your language window. From there I follow the procedure of choosing English and in the utilities page I select the target SSD and erase it. Click on the Install High Sierra and the process goes smoothly.
However, on reboot in the Clover Manager window there is only the external boot option. I use the F12 button to select my boot choice and choose the SSD where High Sierra is installed. I get a black window with this on the upper right side of the page:

boot0: GPT
boot0: test
boot0: error

I've checked the SSD and it indicates that a little over 5 GBs of memory has been taken which is the size of the High Sierra OS. Damn, I'm almost there. Anyone have any clue as to what is happening? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I just updated my old hack with a GA-Z170 gaming 5, i5-6600K SkyLake chip, 16 GB kit HyperX Fury Black ram. I kept the old video card GeForce GTX 670.
Please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have multiple systems add them to your signature or build signature.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Found another thread that suggested going to boot args and checking the USB ownership and USB injection which I did. In the Graphics line I checked Inject Intel since I removed the graphics card. When I click on the external boot device I get the progress bar that moves to nearly the end when it suddenly jumps back to the beginning of the bar and proceeds to load again. It finishes and I get the choose your language window. From there I follow the procedure of choosing English and in the utilities page I select the target SSD and erase it. Click on the Install High Sierra and the process goes smoothly.
However, on reboot in the Clover Manager window there is only the external boot option. I use the F12 button to select my boot choice and choose the SSD where High Sierra is installed. I get a black window with this on the upper right side of the page:

boot0: error

I've checked the SSD and it indicates that a little over 5 GBs of memory has been taken which is the size of the High Sierra OS. Damn, I'm almost there. Anyone have any clue as to what is happening? Any help would be appreciated.

You cannot get the boot:0 error if you boot from Clover therefore the obvious conclusion is that you are not booting with Clover.
High Sierra requires Clover in order to boot.

I get that I cannot boot High Sierra from Clover because there is no High Sierra boot option in Clover Manager. My question is why is that happening when I was able to follow the steps from Language window thru Utility window erasing the target SSD and finally thru the install Mac OS High Sierra? After reboot I just get the external usb boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back