Z170i Pro Gaming 3401
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
HD530
Mac
  1. iMac
Dear Community,

I am planning to take a shot at updating my current Catalina (10.15.7) hopefully to Ventura (or even Monterey?). I am on my HD530 after removing my GTX960. On OpenCore V0.7.8. Is this possible with my current setup?

Should I first upgrade OpenCore to current V0.9.5 and all KEXTs before starting anything? The hackintool Boot menu pops up with an "update" option? is this a safe way or should i rather follow the dortania update steps for OC.
Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 09.58.42.png

I have a dual boot system(osx & win10) on separate SSD. do i need to try this update on a fresh SSD? I can see the standard Montrey installer in my application folder but not Ventura! Can I use this installer for a direct update?

I am still in the process of reading and taking notes on this topic here, but l am thankful for any advices/hints or tried&tested upgrade recipes in advance.

Dear Community,

I am planning to take a shot at updating my current Catalina (10.15.7) hopefully to Ventura (or even Monterey?). I am on my HD530 after removing my GTX960. On OpenCore V0.7.8. Is this possible with my current setup?

Should I first upgrade OpenCore to current V0.9.5 and all KEXTs before starting anything? The hackintool Boot menu pops up with an "update" option? is this a safe way or should i rather follow the dortania update steps for OC.
View attachment 572404

I have a dual boot system(osx & win10) on separate SSD. do i need to try this update on a fresh SSD? I can see the standard Montrey installer in my application folder but not Ventura! Can I use this installer for a direct update?

I am still in the process of reading and taking notes on this topic here, but l am thankful for any advices/hints or tried&tested upgrade recipes in advance.
yes, update your kexts and boot loader

@Feartech : Thanks for your feedback.
Now I updated my active KEXTs and OC from v0.7.8 to v0.9.5 using the OCAuxillaryTool.
Earlier when my screen saver came up it worked fine. After the KEXT update. I noticed only black screen and no reponse so i had to hard reboot. For the timebeing i disabled screensaver and changed sleep to never.

How should I proceed now. Can I simply run the "install Monterey" from my application folder?

@Feartech : Thanks for your feedback.
Now I updated my active KEXTs and OC from v0.7.8 to v0.9.5 using the OCAuxillaryTool.
Earlier when my screen saver came up it worked fine. After the KEXT update. I noticed only black screen and no reponse so i had to hard reboot. For the timebeing i disabled screensaver and changed sleep to never.

How should I proceed now. Can I simply run the "install Monterey" from my application folder?
yes, just make sure you have a working usb installer as a backup just in case

@Feartech Sorry for the delayed reply. With small kids one has little time for DIY stuff :p. Today i took the shot to run the install OSX Monterey from application folder(maybe i should have pulled the latest install version, now i am at 12.5.1). Took 30minutes with multiple reboots (every time scary and nail-biting). Finally landed on my desktop but the Overview Window is missing Mac Info
Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 11.22.17.png
Can this become a problem later on? However Hackintool still shows Model Identifier as iMac17,1.

The next update in Software Update is 12.5.2. Do I have to go through all incremental updates sequentially or is it possible to go directly to 12.7.1?

Is the procedure same to upgrade to Ventura or Sonoma?
Thank you.

@Feartech Sorry for the delayed reply. With small kids one has little time for DIY stuff :p. Today i took the shot to run the install OSX Monterey from application folder(maybe i should have pulled the latest install version, now i am at 12.5.1). Took 30minutes with multiple reboots (every time scary and nail-biting). Finally landed on my desktop but the Overview Window is missing Mac Info
View attachment 576257
Can this become a problem later on? However Hackintool still shows Model Identifier as iMac17,1.

The next update in Software Update is 12.5.2. Do I have to go through all incremental updates sequentially or is it possible to go directly to 12.7.1?

Is the procedure same to upgrade to Ventura or Sonoma?
Thank you.
to upgrade to Ventura, you will need to spoof a kabylake machine

to upgrade to Sonoma, you will need to spoof a coffelake machine

if I were you, I would stick to using iMac17,1 and keep with Monterey

the about info may change when you log into your apple account on your system?

Maybe i misread the incremental update. It took me now to straight to 12.7.2. EOF!

Thanks for that heads-up regarding the per-requisites for next OSX upgrades. I guess i will stay with Monterey for some good time before leaping again.

the about info may change when you log into your apple account on your system?
Do you mean the App Store? I logged in, but the About Info remains unchanged(even after reboots).

At the least everything seems to work exactly well as was with Catalina except again for one important thing. That is my "Time machine". Every time I switched major OSX releases, i was unable to access older Time machine stamps. The side scroll bar shows older entries but when i click nothing happens. Its just stays at "today". For this matter I never keep important stuff on my OSX hard disk. I rather store everything on external. Is there a way to rectify my time machine?
Thank you.

Maybe i misread the incremental update. It took me now to straight to 12.7.2. EOF!

Thanks for that heads-up regarding the per-requisites for next OSX upgrades. I guess i will stay with Monterey for some good time before leaping again.

Do you mean the App Store? I logged in, but the About Info remains unchanged(even after reboots).

At the least everything seems to work exactly well as was with Catalina except again for one important thing. That is my "Time machine". Every time I switched major OSX releases, i was unable to access older Time machine stamps. The side scroll bar shows older entries but when i click nothing happens. Its just stays at "today". For this matter I never keep important stuff on my OSX hard disk. I rather store everything on external. Is there a way to rectify my time machine?
Thank you.
when you login example:

Screenshot 2023-12-21 204111.jpg

also I have never used Time Machine Backup, sorry! :)

Back