Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
CPU
Intel i7 2700K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hi, i don't know if it's the right section to post this but i really need some advice.

So i want to replace my laptop's hdd with an ssd. At first i was going for the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB but after i read some reviews about the Samsung 850 EVO m.2 i thought "why not get that one instead of the 850 Pro for less money since they have similar speeds?". But i have a major problem, my laptop doesn't support any m.2 type SSDs only SATA. So i searched the internet and found this little converter: https://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/M.2-NGFF-to-2.5in-SATA-Adapter-with-Housing~SAT2M2NGFF25, which basically converts the m.2 connection to SATA connection so it can be used with any Desktop or Laptop. The question is though, whether this method will work and if yes, will my laptop recognize the m.2 SSD as normal SATA SSD and will be bootable so i can i boot OS X from it? Thanks.

hi, i don't know if it's the right section to post this but i really need some advice.

So i want to replace my laptop's hdd with an ssd. At first i was going for the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB but after i read some reviews about the Samsung 850 EVO m.2 i thought "why not get that one instead of the 850 Pro for less money since they have similar speeds?". But i have a major problem, my laptop doesn't support any m.2 type SSDs only SATA. So i searched the internet and found this little converter: https://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/M.2-NGFF-to-2.5in-SATA-Adapter-with-Housing~SAT2M2NGFF25, which basically converts the m.2 connection to SATA connection so it can be used with any Desktop or Laptop. The question is though, whether this method will work and if yes, will my laptop recognize the m.2 SSD as normal SATA SSD and will be bootable so i can i boot OS X from it? Thanks.

Why not just purchase a Samsung EVO 2.5" SATA?

Actually i was for the sata one but i read that m.2 is faster so.

Nonsense. You already stated your laptop has no M.2 capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back