Contribute
Register

Advice on new workstation cpu/mobo please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife is heavy into video, audio, production jobs. Work got her a macbook that is absolutely insufficient for this, both with storage and processing. She can literally walk away from the laptop for 3+ hours if it is doing a heavy job.
I was looking at what was available in the mac store (I am a pc builder, no idea about apples) but the hardware available seems absolutely overpriced for the limited power and storage it was offering.

I can absolutely put this thing together, and probably follow the guide just fine but what would you all recommend as far as a powerful Xeon processor that is still compatible to build a decent Hackintosh? Should I just go with an i7-6700k instead? What kind of mobo compatible with the xeon would support high resolutions for editing purposes?

Thanks for the help guys, she isn't tech savvy, and I am a life long builder for gaming, not business.

P.S. Budget isn't so much a concern, her work will foot the build-- I'd just hate to see them drop $5k on a system that isn't really all THAT powerful, and then have to buy a half dozen external drives for it too.

I did build a video editing hackintosh for my partner some years ago. In the end I can only say I'd have gotten her a real mac if i had to make the same decision today. It has gotten easier, especially with the upgrading (which is always so important for mac soft), but still you will have to do some maintenance for her, and more than you want. Flaky USB and sleep..
And then, he mac hardware IS highend. i'd not call it overpriced, just a little over the top ;)

(as an example, I just build a new hackintosh for work for me, and also got a macbook pro. The ssd in the macbook benchmarks at exactly double the speed that the evo850 in the hackintosh does..)

Also, she will love a shiny imac (<- best value) much more ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back