CPU
I5-4690k LGA1150
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I wanted to know if there is anything wrong with the build I choose for my hackintosh. I used tonymacs building guide for macpro these are the items.

• GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I74790 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

• CORSAIR RM Series RM650 650W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
  • TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter, 2.4GHz 450Mbps/5GHz 450Mbps, IEEE 802.1a/b/g/n, WEP/WPA/WPA2
  • Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
  • SAMSUNG 850 EVO-Series MZ-75E250B/AM 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  • Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
I'm not sure if I need a video card at all with the above if I do I would go with
EVGA 02G-P4-2742-KR GeForce GT 740 Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

My main concerns are if the mother board and the CPU are compatible with each other (not to mention everything as a whole is compatible with each other as I am new to this building thing) and if all this would fit in the tower. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is all to run both mac OSX and Windows 7 PC as well.

It would help to know how you are going to use the system. Are you going to use the Thunderbolt capability provided by the GA-Z97X-UD7 TH motherboard? Thunderbolt accessories are very expensive. I have a Z77 Thunderbolt motherboard equipped system and only use a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter because every external Thunderbolt drive is just too expensive.

I didn't see any memory listed. For Haswell systems, the memory and PSU compatibility are extremely important due to the Haswell specifications. Your PSU should be Haswell "ready" or "certified," but make sure. Make sure your Memory is on your motherboard's Memory support list and the memory manufacturer has the memory model # on the motherboard support list. I like the Crucial Ballistic Tactical. YMMV.

Again, your system use will determine the "robustness" of your components. The GT 740 graphics card is certainly more robust than the HD4600 Intel Integrated Graphics. You can get an idea of the 740's robustness vs the HD4600 by looking at the Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart.

Good Luck! ...and welcome to the tonymacx86 Forum! :thumbup:

Now that you mention it I need at least one thunderbolt mini display port for my audio interface that I use. I'm going to be using this build for Audio Production as I am an Engineer. My audio interface is only mac compatible and only uses thunderbolt port its an Apollo Twin Duo. I need the windows side for other audio software that I use.

As for the memory I thought I put it on there I don't see it either though. This is what I was looking into

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0

Might upgrade to the 32gb in the future. Also I appreciate you taking the time out and responding. I didn't know thunderbolt accessories were expensive learned something new. For the most part I will be using the USB's and the DVI or VGA for monitors and my interface for my studio speakers/monitors. As far as a graphics card I'm not a gamer at all to be honest.
How can I check if the memory and motherboard/PSU are compatible is there a site I can go to for this?

I manage to figure it all out. Thanks for your help again. I found out that all my parts are compatible. That should save me a big headache down the road. Looks like I will be building a hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back