i3-10100
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All,

I currently have a High Sierra hack that died while trying to update to Catalina. It doesn't POST anymore (no lights/sound/display image other than fans initiating) so I'm thinking MoBo and/or CPU is dead. That being said, I still need to update to at least Mojave and have the following parts to use from my current hackintosh:

550 PSU
Sapphire RX 570 4 GB
Samsung 1 TB NVMe
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 (PCIE) for wifi

I currently have a desktop that can fit a micro atx and that's what I've used. But I have a free mini itx case that a friend gave me that I'd like to use. The problem is I need wifi and my video card (dual monitors). It doesn't look like the mini itx boards with wifi are compatible with macOS, so not sure if the wifi part can be replaced with something compatible. And the mini ITX seem to only have 1 PCIe slot, which I'd use for the RX 570.

Not sure if anyone has experience with replacing the wifi on the 400 series boards but I didn't find any info readily available. I'd prefer not go USB for wifi as it seems problematic for most people, but that could potentially be an option.

Any suggestions would be appreciated even if it's generally a confirmation that micro ATX is my only path forward to avoid USB wifi.

Thanks in Advance!

ETA: I'm trying to stay fairly cheap on the build so ideally picking up an i3-10100 for the processor.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I currently have a High Sierra hack that died while trying to update to Catalina. It doesn't POST anymore (no lights/sound/display image other than fans initiating) so I'm thinking MoBo and/or CPU is dead. That being said, I still need to update to at least Mojave and have the following parts to use from my current hackintosh:

550 PSU
Sapphire RX 570 4 GB
Samsung 1 TB NVMe
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 (PCIE) for wifi

I currently have a desktop that can fit a micro atx and that's what I've used. But I have a free mini itx case that a friend gave me that I'd like to use. The problem is I need wifi and my video card (dual monitors). It doesn't look like the mini itx boards with wifi are compatible with macOS, so not sure if the wifi part can be replaced with something compatible. And the mini ITX seem to only have 1 PCIe slot, which I'd use for the RX 570.

Not sure if anyone has experience with replacing the wifi on the 400 series boards but I didn't find any info readily available. I'd prefer not go USB for wifi as it seems problematic for most people, but that could potentially be an option.

Any suggestions would be appreciated even if it's generally a confirmation that micro ATX is my only path forward to avoid USB wifi.

Thanks in Advance!

ETA: I'm trying to stay fairly cheap on the build so ideally picking up an i3-10100 for the processor.
You want to upgrade to "at least Mojave"? So you won't mind going to Catalina or Big Sur? The 10th generation Intel CPUs like the i3-10100 may not be able to run Mojave (at least you may not be able to install Mojave on a 10th generation system).

I have no experience with using WiFi with desktops, but I have heard that it may not be possible to replace the WiFi hardware included with some ITX motherboards (Gigabyte?) so you should check carefully. I would think using a mATX motherboard is better in your case.

You want to upgrade to "at least Mojave"? So you won't mind going to Catalina or Big Sur? The 10th generation Intel CPUs like the i3-10100 may not be able to run Mojave (at least you may not be able to install Mojave on a 10th generation system).

I have no experience with using WiFi with desktops, but I have heard that it may not be possible to replace the WiFi hardware included with some ITX motherboards (Gigabyte?) so you should check carefully. I would think using a mATX motherboard is better in your case.
Thanks for the suggestion on mATX - I’m certainly leaning that way, unfortunately. As for OS, a program I use for work wouldn’t update any longer on High Sierra so was needing to update, and I’m not too worried about the OS but would prefer Big Sur to avoid updating for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back