Contribute
Register

Advice on buying a power supply for a G5 mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grimsrud said:
I've run into another issue while trying to de-solder the two PSU plug receptacles. The iron I bought won't even make a dent in the crap they put on both of them. This is the tool I'm using: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731

Do I need something more powerful?
You shouldn't, I have a 40w solder gun from RadioShack that I used for all my work and desoldered the same socket with my iron. It took a bit but I got it all done.

Wow...I'm so glad that it wasn't just me. It took forever and a day to desolder each connection.

I finally got my PSU together and my G5 mod is nearly done (just have to mount the HD caddy to be at 100%), but I've hit another snag. Upon assembling everything, I can't get two of my RAM slots to work on my Gigabyte UD3H-B3. I used to have 16GB of RAM in my machine (four 4GB chips), but whenever I have RAM in the two slots furthest away from the CPU slot, my system will not boot. The system will only boot if I use the two slots closest to my CPU slot. I have a PSU tester device, and it says all of the voltage levels are fine, but I'm wondering if my PSU could have played a role in killing those slots. Is there any chance that the PSU could have fried just those two, or was this just due to something completely unrelated (I am a bit of a klutz at times)? I'd really hate to buy a new motherboard and have it get fried because I didn't wire my PSU correctly or something dumb like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back