Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello there!

I'm interested in building a hackintosh with good general performance but most of all, I'd like it to support Sleep/Wake so I don't have to boot up everytime I want to use the computer. I rarely ever shutdown my MacBook Pro and I'd love to be able to do the same on my workstation.

What can you recommend for Motherboard/CPU that will be supported with Sleep/Wake, and would be relatively painless to setup. I've had a hackintosh back in Tiger/Leopard days, I can patch a kext and stuff, using terminal is no problem too but I have no experience with DSDT whatsoever (though I'll probably have to learn) and would rather keep the tweaking needed to the minimum.

I've read about the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H working with Sleep/Wake without DSDT, does this mean everything will be fully supported without post-install hassles?
Or would you rather go with a Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 ? And for what reason? (better supported?)

What about CPUs ? Buying a Ivy Bridge would be the logical choice hardware-wise, but it seems it will take some time before it is well supported. I've read it requires patching the kernel, which I'm guessing means attaching the disk on another machine and overwriting /mach_kernel ? Or is it more involved that this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have :)
Also, feel free to throw in any guide you may recommend regarding sleep/wake issues ;)

TaumXD said:
I've read about the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H working with Sleep/Wake without DSDT, does this mean everything will be fully supported without post-install hassles?
Or would you rather go with a Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 ? And for what reason? (better supported?)

The DS3H is well supported with the tools in multibeast.

What about CPUs ? Buying a Ivy Bridge would be the logical choice hardware-wise, but it seems it will take some time before it is well supported. I've read it requires patching the kernel, which I'm guessing means attaching the disk on another machine and overwriting /mach_kernel ? Or is it more involved that this?

Just run the new bridgehelper tool released today and you're good if you want to use Ivy bridge :thumbup:

Gordo74 said:
Just run the new bridgehelper tool released today and you're good if you want to use Ivy bridge :thumbup:

Nice, I didn't see that :cool:

Just to be clear, this still means I need to plug the hard drive onto my MacBook to install Lion and then apply the BridgeHelper tool? Or could I run the installer directly on the hackintosh?

TaumXD said:
Gordo74 said:

Nice, I didn't see that :cool:

Just to be clear, this still means I need to plug the hard drive onto my MacBook to install Lion and then apply the BridgeHelper tool? Or could I run the installer directly on the hackintosh?

You would use your Macbook to make a Unibeast installer, then run bridgehelper on the unibeast drive, then install with Unibeast, then boot your new install with Unibeast, then install bridgehelper to the hard drive, and run multibeast and you're done :)

Alright! Sounds complicated but I think I get it ;)
Thanks a lot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back