Contribute
Register

Advice on a graphics card? Sick of 9800GT... Maybe 5770?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if you can run both cards at the same time. But yea, if you have any problems let me know.

I would do this.

Clean install (do whatever you need to do to get it working) with the latest chameleon. Turn on GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Now try the graphics card with VGA First, then if it works, unplug it, plug in the HDMI-DVI Cable. If it freezes the system, that means you need to replace the old kexts, if it's still working, I would restart and see if it works then.

*when i mean, try or plugin any cable, i mean that it needs to be connected to the monitor as well XD

LOLmoe said:
I'm not sure if you can run both cards at the same time. But yea, if you have any problems let me know.

I would do this.

Clean install (do whatever you need to do to get it working) with the latest chameleon. Turn on GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Now try the graphics card with VGA First, then if it works, unplug it, plug in the HDMI-DVI Cable. If it freezes the system, that means you need to replace the old kexts, if it's still working, I would restart and see if it works then.

*when i mean, try or plugin any cable, i mean that it needs to be connected to the monitor as well XD

Cheers man. Would you definitely recommend a clean install? It's just that it's taken me about a week to get it running to the point where i like the machine :p Is it a problem of random kexts that are going to give the card problems? In which case, i'll try removing everything that looks like it's to do with graphics (the boot.plist hasn't got much special in it, and i'm not using a custom DSDT).

What i'll probably do is leave it for now, try the GTX 260 when it arrives tomorrow (exited!), and if that gives me the same problem, i'll try again with your method :)

Thanks again guys!

I'm not too sure. Try the GTX 260 first with chameleon, if not only kexts you would really have to replace is the NVIDIA Graphics kexts,(replace it from an older version, I think 10.6.2)

Guys, massive thanks for all the help! Got my 260, and it works great! OOB, no kexts required. The only irritating thing was that it wasn't a proper nvidia reference board, it was a gainward one (with vga, dvi and hdmi, rather than 2xdvi). Oh well. Works fine :D I've got it set up with my main display (DVI) and my tv (DVI->HDMI adapter) via a switching box and it works well. The next step is to test it with the monitor that i have arriving on wednesday, using the spare HDMI port. If that works, then i'll send the 9800gt back!

Thanks again guys,

Jelly

Connie Mac said:
Did you have to just swap cards, or did you also have to add/delete kexts?

I literally just put the card in, and it worked. Didn't have that many kexts in the first place though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back